In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New-bie with .45 ammo help needed?

johninjaxjohninjax Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
With security in mind, bought a Texas defender and it has different ammo shell than what I'm accustom to seeing... and both use a .45 shell.
The Defender has a 1 1/4" case, has a 1/2" head and a lead slug.

My (also new) STI spartin is using a 7/8" case shell with a 7/16" head and a copper slug.

How many .45 slugs do they make because I didn't know that there was a difference?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No offense meant. I would get some hands-on advice/help from a local friend or knowledgeable person. There is a big differance between .45 Long Colt & .45 ACP.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello The names on different cartridges can be very confusing . On top of this some people call the same cartridge by different names. For the most part if it is a revolver and it shoots a 45 it is Known as a 45 colt or some people use the term 45 LONG colt this cartridge has a RIMMED head. if it is a semi auto pistol most times it takes a 45 colt ACP "automatic colt pistol " my suggestions are to do as rufe snow says or buy yourself a copy of CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD. Cheers PERRY SHOOTER
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Off the top of my head, I can think of 20+ different 45cal pistol rounds, and more than twice that # in rifle rounds.
    While most of those are obscure and/or forign, they still exist(ed).

Without getting to deep into it, the most common ones you'll see are the 45 GAP (Glock Auto Pistol), the 45 ACP (Auto Colt Pistol), the 45 Schofield, the 45 Colt (45 Long Colt), and the 454 Casull.
    Your revolver is chambered for the 45 Colt (AKA 45 Long Colt, 45 LC) and will also fire the 45 Schofield (has a shorter case), your pistol is chambered for the 45 ACP (AKA 45 Auto, 45 CAP (Colt Auto Pistol)) only.
    To help you know the difference (when your buying more ammo, your 2 are the least expensive, and most common, of those I mentioned above.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I see that I now have 2 different .45 guns.

Is there just 2 different .45 cal shells ??
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the middle row are 45 REVOLVER rounds, with the 45 COLT rounds being # 8 & 9 from the right.
    Cartridges018.jpg

Bottom row, to the right of the space is a 45 GAP followed by several 45 ACP rounds (the red one is a tracer), than several more 45 pistol rounds
    Cartridges017.jpg
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dood?
    Do you read the replies??
    There are at least 20 45 shells and there are more I am sure.

CP
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner;
    Thanks, that explains it.