In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

federal paper hulls???

jagjag Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
I was telling someone at the range about some federal paper shotshells I bought at a swap meet. They told me the ones I bought are at least 14/box...way more than I paid. I just did a search on gb and found this
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=102538970
5.00 for just the box? how come? how much is it worth full?
maybe i'll sell'm instead of shoot'm! thanks for any help!

Comments

• Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    THERE ONLY WORTH SOMETHING IF YOU FIND A BUYER

i would just hang on to them some day someone will want them

the box listed has no bidders (yet)
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Jag: Not all Federal "paper hulls" are equal!! Is what you bought exactly like the box you found? If so you did over pay. Federal brought back the "paper hull" for trap shooting back in the middle to late 70s.

Federal paper hulls made prior to about 1962 can be worth a lot for a full box.

go to the "collectable ammo" section, The old Federal Duck boxes depending on guage, can bring "hundreds" of dollars. As well as the "Red Sweater" boxes!!

Regards Dave
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nothing like the smell of a federal paper hull when fired.....ahhhh.[^]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey guys, thanks for replies...O W what do you mean I over paid??? I NEVER SAID how much I paid?? yes, the ones I bought match the picture, any idea of value/worth? should I just shoot'm up?
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Jag: I saw $14/box, it sounded like that's what you paid. I misunderstood what you wrote.

Well since they are exactly like the ones in the auction you posted, these are "modern paper" if you will. Ammo prices have really risen this year. If you were to go to your local dealer to buy just one box of comparible shells, you could expect pay about $6.00-$8.00 a box. Plus while he doesn't state it, preferred payment is usually a M.O. thers a buck at the post office, so even if you were the only bidder, $4.99 for the shells, $5.00 for postage, $1.00 for the M.O. and .41 cents for postage, this box of shells is only costing $11.40!!!

The "fine print" the seller is charging $5.00 to mail them to you!! He's losing money it he does it leagally, (UPS Ground) most sellers charge $8-$10 for a box of shotgun shells.

The empties are valueable too! Lots of reloaders like them.

If you are going to sell them, the best route to go is your local Trap range and post on the bullentine board, (no shipping). 2nd best here at GB.

Regards Dave

PS: Bobski, while Federal paper smells good Super Speed or Super X smells awesome!![:D]
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sell a lot of collectible ammo, I've typically get 10-12 per box on GB for these. Have sold probably a dozen over the last year. A couple went for over 15 . All prices plus S&H
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks again for replies, I appreciate the time you guys take to answer questions, sometimes even the stupid ones :>)....OW, that guy was selling only the BOX, no shells! thats what made me think there was something at least a "little" special about these.... golfer, so the guy that told me 14/box is correct for a ftf...hmmmmmm...I guess i'll post'm up @ the range! thanks again!
    ps- I pd 3/box and 3/box for a case 20 ga. sts's! wish there was more!