In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

remvoing/changing flash hider

Shiloh36Shiloh36 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
I'd like to change the flash hider on my Bushmaster Carbon 15. I've wrenched on it a little bit but didn't want to force anything and risk causing damage. Are the flash hiders spot welded once they are screwed on at the factory? How best to remove the flash hider to install the new one.. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What model Bushmaster Carbon 15 do you have?

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    XM15, 16 inch barrel....only says Carbon 15 on the receiver
  • Options
    edited November -1
    According to Bushmaster's website its called the flat top M4 type
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Look close at the flats. You should spot the welds where they are over the spots where it is drilled and pinned, then spot welded over. I had to look close at mine to find them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, I can see the discolored circles that I assumed were spot welds. Does this mean that I can not change the flash hider? So the flash hider is permanently affixed to the barrel?
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's as DCS says, you have to grind away at the spot welds on both sides until the pin is visible then drive it out and unscrew the flash hider.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Perhaps you should re-barrel, or at least, spring for a pre-barreled upper. Not all that expensive (relative to the question on buggering a job). I've been down that road. Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    YEah, thank you for the input. I think I'll just leave it be for now. I just hadn't realized when i bought the new flash hider that is was welded. Its got an Izzy on it now and that works fine.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Shiloh36
    YEah, thank you for the input. I think I'll just leave it be for now. I just hadn't realized when i bought the new flash hider that is was welded. Its got an Izzy on it now and that works fine.

Well if you have the welded on Izzy hider then your BBL may only be 14.5" long. With the flash hider welded on it makes it a legal 16" BBL. If you do remove the flash hider and the BBL is less then 16" you have created an illegal NFA firearm. NFA firearms are legal assuming you follow state laws and have approved NFA paperwork.