In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Federal Nyclad .38sp 125gr HP

givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
Anybody know if Nyclad style cartridges are in current production by any company? Or bullets for reloading?

Yes, I have JHP's, hollow-base wadcutters, etc. so that need not be addressed. What I would like to make is a few boxes of Nyclads (non-alloy lead/nylon coated) if such an item is available. Is there?

Thanks for your assistance. Best, Joe

EDIT:
I hear ya loud and clear, Lefty...

But Federal got scared, and voluntarily discontinued the Nyclad line. Don't know if the gavel was ever put down on this issue. Perhaps no one wants to touch it..scared pansies, all. Joe

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joe...... Not sure, but there may have been a federal ban on Nyclad bullets due to a fear that they could penetrate police body armor.
  • Options
    MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few months ago I purchased 4 boxes of this ammo in 125 grain and 158. Some is regular and some is +P. It was all old stock...and I have heard about the "vest issue"...I asked if this ammo is legal and they said it was. This dealer has been in business since 1919 so I consider their knowledge correct. If anyone has actual knowledge that this ammo is not legal to own...I would like to know.
    Thanks!!!
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was no ban on Nyclads. The ban on handgun armor piercing bullets is defined entirely on bullet construction, with seven hard metal cores listed, plus a jacket over 25% of bullet weight.

I suspect it was a commercial decision and they had not been selling as well as more heavily advertised jacketed bullets... like Black Talon, woo, woo.
  • Options
    vicg1vicg1 Member Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    There was no ban on Nyclads. The ban on handgun armor piercing bullets is defined entirely on bullet construction, with seven hard metal cores listed, plus a jacket over 25% of bullet weight.

I suspect it was a commercial decision and they had not been selling as well as more heavily advertised jacketed bullets... like Black Talon, woo, woo.

I'm pretty sure the Teflon KTW rounds were banned.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And what has that got to do with Nyclads?

The KTW would be banned (I think they were out of business before the law was passed anyhow.) because they had hard metal cores or all-over hard metal construction. They always said that the Teflon increased penetration in some targets but that has frequently been poo-poohed, and is not mentioned in law or Federal regulation.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Got several boxes of component bullets from MidwayUSA sometime last year, try product #332644 on their website.
    KTW's never went into production, like the infamous Black Rhino; their hype was badder than reality (although the test samples fired into vests at Rep. Mario Biaggi's request went right through a level I).
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    To all: Thanks for the input.

To Gunnut: I'm gonna check Midway. Thanks again, fellas. Joe