In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Siamese Mauser modified for 45-70

cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
Where can I find instructions or procedures for modifying a Siamese Mauser to feed the 45-70 case.

Is there a web-site or book/article that I can look up?

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well the main mod needed is to replace the barrel with a 45/70 barrel. There are any number of articles on rebarrelling Mausers. Past that- as I understand it- few mods are needed as the case head is of similar size and the round is long enough to feed in the mag but not overly long.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I wanted to build mine I sent the action to ER Shaw in Penn. They wanted, back then, $50 for the conversion on top of the barrel and other modification fees. As I had already done the bolt handle and drilled and tapped it there wasn't alot for them to do.
  • Options
    nsaqamnsaqam Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Besides the chambered barrel you'll need the bolt face opened up from .565" diameter to .610 diameter and the extractor hook will have to be shortened .025" to accomodate the 45-70 case.
    To get proper feeding, especially of the last round you'll need to widen the front of the magazine well cutout from .560" to about .575" and it will help if you polish the feed ramp too.
    The Siamese magazine/triggerguard will work great for the 45-70.