In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

High standard dura matic m101

onaparonapar Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
just bought a high standard dura matic M101 on gun broker haven't fired it yet. Any one have anything good or bad about this gun? How hard is it to find extra mags?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [The magazines are the same as used by the other H-S pistols manufactured during the same time period, ( 50's-70's) Original ones will run in the $30-$50 range.

Because its striker fired design is totality different from all other H-S pistols, I have found that the trigger pull is heavier as the trigger/sear spring has to be strong enough to prevent keep the striker and its associated spring(s) in check.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    They were meant to be good plinkers really. But as mentioned, not a real target gun due to the design and trigger.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    keep the grip screw tight. dont drop it. the grip will crack. if you do drop it, its toast.
    the gun doesnt have a lock back on last shot.
    it was high standards cheapest gun made yet will still shoot circles around more common models out there today.
    only duramatic bbls will fit on the duramatic. you cant use any other style.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a M101 with a 4 inch barrel, that was my father's. He bought it new in 1950. It is extreemely accurate, and the trigger is not of the quality of a Victor, but it is still decent. It was designed to be High Standards entry model, and to be comparable to the Colt Woodsman of the same. The magazines can be had, but are expensive.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info, I look forward to taking it to the range. The dura matic makes number eight of the 22s ihave been collecting if it
    is anywhere near as good as my browning challenger I will be happy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thats not a fair comparison. go buy a hi std tournament and compare it to a challenger. that would be fair.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bob
    what is your opinion of the browning challenger?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    apples an oranges.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by onapar
    bob
    what is your opinion of the browning challenger?

I'm not Bobski, but perhaps can help to answer your question.

There were ( 3 ) different flavors of Challenger. Believe Bob would be refering to the first, which was Belgian made. It was a excellent first rate target pistol, the only fly in the ointment was the micky mouse rear sight. I owned two of them over the years. Never could figure out why FN in all their wisdom, would put a POS sheet metal sight ( only good for plinking ), on such a excellent quality pistol.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    you got the idea. a duramatic compared to a challenger isnt a fair comparison. you have a u.s. plinker found in fishing boats, compared to a belgian utility gun.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.