In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ID on C&R purchase

slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
When buying a gun from an individual in another state using my C&R Liscense, where the sale is not done face to face, is a picture ID required?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, it is not required. The seller must ship it to the address shown on your license.

However, there is nothing to keep the seller from asking for a photocopy of your drivers license, since he can't use EZ-check for a C&R. I wouldn't be offended by such a request.

Neal

"Trust, but verify." --- Ronald Reagan
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a different slant.

Say he is buying from someone out of state.

For his bound book entry, he may not have good information on who that person REALLY is.

This is one reason why many FFL01 license holders will only receive from other (verified) FFL01 holders.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, there has never been a documented case of someone fraudulently using another person's C&R, either altered or unaltered, to make a purchase.

Neal

"Just because you are paranoid, that doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you."
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am the buyer with the C&R. I send the seller a signed copy marked file copy only. When I buy from another C&R or FFL I get a copy of their liscense. On a face to face deal with an individual in the state of Illinois I get the info off of thier FOID card. On a face to face deal with an out of state individual I get the information off of their drivers liscense. Never bought non face to face from individual yet. My thought is to request a copy of their drivers liscense just to cover my bakside.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    To cover your "bakside" against what?

All you need is the sellers FFL/C&R # OR name & address for your bound book. The seller, on the other hand, is the one who needs to worry because he will be shipping a gun to someone he doesn't know, & he'd better hope that your C&R is righteous.

You can ask for a photocopy of his DL, but I don't think you are in a position to demand it.

Neal
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This post and replies don't infer mis-use of a C&R certificate, just confirmation of identity, even if name and address will do.

Neal's "You can't demand a drivers license photocopy" is accurate. So just record the name and address he tells you.(Why would he lie ?) You've met the spec. Sleep the sleep of the righteous.

What is being dancing around is what is required and what convinces you that everything is correct.

If you're making a 'local' transaction, and the buyer doesn't have his drivers license, so he gives you his name and address. If you are not comfortable with that, you can just refuse to sell without a drivers license for I.D.