In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Walther ppk in 22lr.

ap3572001ap3572001 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
I am looing at buying a German PPK in 22 LR. What are they going for? Are they hard to get?

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know what they sell for --- they are rarely seen on the market. They are worth more than the same gun in .32 or .380, but I really can't say how much more.

Neal
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    800-1,000. with box, ect, excellent. I traded one in at my local gunshop [|)] and it literally was a fight as to who got it even before I left[B)][:I].. Mistake, but shop owner happy, and it works out both ways sometimes...nambu
  • ap3572001ap3572001 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about one not with the box. But with a spare mag,and condition in 95% range. ( 100% original).
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No box and 95% hurts it imo,,,600-650--max
  • ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    Yes, they are not easy to come by. Early years equal higher prices. Made in Germany equal high price, probably over $1000. Interarms imports or U.S. made should go for $600-$800. You may want to consider a Manhurin.
    edited November -1
    Confusing! So what kind of Walthers are there? German, American, Interarms,French?
  • ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ap3572001
    Confusing! So what kind of Walthers are there? German, American, Interarms,French?

Pre war and war time Walthers were what I meant by early. These usually command a higher price. War time quality suffered at the end. Post war PP and PPK models were made in France, (Manhurin), because Germany was not allowed to produce arms. These command medium prices to lower ($350 -$700 or so). Sometime during the late '50s that changed and Walther started a new plant in Germany. German made guns were imported by Interarms. Later Interarms made guns in the U.S. These sell for about the same as Manhurins. The exception seems to be the .22lr as they were made in smaller numbers and are sought after, similar to the demand for the Walther TPH. A German TPH will sell for $800- 1700, while the stainless Interarms TPH sells for $450- $650 or so. Some a lot more.

There are large numbers of post war PPs and PPKs from the late "60s and early "70s...mostly police trades. Interarms Walthers are mostly marked Interarms. The PPK/S is introduced and becomes popular around 1968. Interarms goes out of business and Walther teams with Smith and Wesson to produce the PPK line (no PP). I don't think S&W ever made a .22lr. So there is a limited number of .22 caliber guns and hence the collectable nature and value. The .32acp and .380 acp is still made.

Yes it is a confusing mess and there is probably much more to it than what I posted here.

See next post

quote:Thank You. So what is my Walther PPK/S ? Barrel is marked "72". Its marked "Made in West Germany" The other side is marked "Interarms Alexandria". What category is my gun in?

Probably falls into that category of made in Germany and imported by Interarms. Could also be; parts made in Germany thenn assembled by Interarms. Interarms info is scarce. I'm always in the hunt for a .22lr PP or PPK/S...that and a .25 TPH are at the top of my want list.
    edited November -1
    Thank You. So what is my Walther PPK/S ? Barrel is marked "72". Its marked "Made in West Germany" The other side is marked "Interarms Alexandria". What category is my gun in?
  • 32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yours is a post war, made in West Germany in 1972 and was imported by Interarms - so it would be of the last configuration and the lowest price range - but still a desireable firearm because of the scarcity of that chambering.
    edited November -1
    So 1972 Walthers MADE IN WEST GERMANY and imported by Interarms.Are somehow the lowest price range Walthers? What about the USA made ones?
    edited November -1
    So 1972 Walthers MADE IN WEST GERMANY and imported by Interarms.Are somehow the lowest price range Walthers? What about the USA made ones?
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's not my opinion.

Pre-war German guns are the best, but you rarely find them because the collectors grab them fast. Of the modern guns, those made by Manurhin in France, & those made by Walther in Ulm, are the highest quality fit & finish. Next down will be W German police trade-ins, although they are not really desirable because many/all are PP's in .32, not what most folks want. The guns made by Interarms in the US are a step down in quality, & parts breakage was a problem; these are the lowest priced guns you will see on the market.

The S&W guns don't appear to have a fit & finish as good as the German guns, but I haven't heard anything about the durability yet. However, noteworthy is the fact that they have only a 1 year Walther warranty, not the usual S&W lifetime warranty. That doesn't inspire confidence, but you pays your money & you takes your chances.

Neal

EDIT: W German guns without the Interarms markings on the box or the gun are the most desirable.
    edited November -1
    I want to end with ALL variations of West German PP type pistols ( Like a small collection). I already have a 1972 99.9% boxed ppk/s. Also looking at buying a 22 lr from the same time period. What others do I need to complette a set? A set of post war PP Type pistols made in West Germany? My goal is to have them all.