In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Poor sighted hunter scope question 30-30

kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
It was suggested to get a scout scope for my wife's dad.
I like the idea.
I have looked for a low powered scope, about a 2 power and cannot find one i like. Often the seller will not give the eye relief. I was thinking of 7 or 8 eye relief.
Any suggestions for a scout scope?
The scope is for a marlin 30-30 a 336 I believe.

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have not given what weapon this will be mounted on. A scout scope can be harder to get into than a properly mounted regular scope too. It would be good to know what range(distance) this would be used on also. A long eye relief scout or handgun scope most always limits the field of view, unless they are very low powered too.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The tapped holes for scope mounting on my 336 are in the conventional place on the receiver, not forward in a "scout configuration." Are you planning on using some other means to mount the scope? If it is in the usual position there is no need for a scope with 8 or 9 inches of eye relief, any good 4x scope would be about perfect (that is certainly what mine wears).
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Like He Dog said the Marlin 336 are on the receiver.

I have a 336 with a 4x scope on it and it works very well. I did not have the scope added, it was on there when I got the rifle. I had planned to pull the scope but it is a very good combo. This scope is an inexpensive "no name" (I did not buy it) but it is great for the ranges intended for the 30-30. I have had a lot of fun shooting this combo, I just need to load some more ammo for it [;)]

HPIM0478.jpg
  • kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right now he has a 4x scope on it.
    He has see thru rings that can be slanted forward for a longer eye relief. I don't know if it is enought for an extended eye relief. I hope it is enough for extended eye relief, as he is having trouble useing a standard scope.
  • longbow589longbow589 Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now lets go in a different direction since you say that poor vision is involved. I recommend that you try a red or green dot scope with no magnification. First off it is very easy to get on target no cross hairs to focus on . If you can see the target and put the dot on it, pull the trigger Bang a hit. only my experience with my dad who cant see very well He loves it . He can see the dot and the target and gets the shot .He made me put one on his shot gun for rabbit hunting because he could not see the front site and the rabbit at the same time Now he is out busting bunnies with us youngsters oh I`m 50 he is 73 and will need to do the same with my shot guns soon.
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    1x4, preferably Leupod. I have a 1 3/4 x 6 on mine but the 1x4 is hard to beat. 1x for woods and 4x for a longer shot.[:)]
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    See through rings often cause problems by putting the scope to high for a good cheek weld on the stock, and inconsistent shots result. A 4x should do it by longbow also has a fine idea. See if you can get your dad to a place he can try out a red dot scope.