In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Looking for interest

Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a very good friend that is loosing his eye sight and has no computer skills and would like to know which of these gun would garner interest at auction and will sell them local if they will not move one line:

Winchester Model 6400, .222 Cal, figured stock, 27322xx in 80% condition.

EDIT: The above weapon I fianlly found to be a Savage in lieu of Winchester and looked at the roll markings and still did not notice the Savage name on it.

Remington 870 pump Magnum W4123xxM, figured stock, 12 gage, 90%

Springfield Model 67D, 12 gage, B6370xx,70%

Westfield Model 58, .22 caliber, 60% receiver, 90% on the rest of the rifle, 1 magazine.

Colt MK IV Series 70, 38 Super, 100% finish, Wood Grips with silver Colt crests, 705090xx. I would love to own this one!

Davis .32 Caliber. derringer 100% chrome finish.

7400 Remington 3006, scoped, 100% finish, I forgot to get the serial number, nice figured stock. He said that when he purchased the rifle the scope was on the rifle new.

Model 700 Remington 270, fiberglass stock, the rifle has pitting on it but has a clean bore and internals, E64724xx, This might well be a good shooter or parts gun.

These are not for sale, I just was interested in what the market was like for them:

Colt, The Colter 4-22, This rifle is 100%

Model 329 H&R, Side Kick .22, 100% condition, white grips, I could not find the serial number any where.

The condition of all of these weapons are as described and if there is interest to auction I will provide pictures.

Thanks

Emmett

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Springfield, Westfield and Davis sell local, the shipping and paperwork cost to much compaired to the value. The rem 870 iffy. Locals can buy anything you try and sell online.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look for like items on the auction side and list them with good pictures and a reasonable starting price. Do not use a reserve and you might be surprised what they will bring. Make sure you post links to the auctions in the general discussion forums folks like to bid on things.
  • Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I orginally posted this topic to help this guy out who could not even see the chamber of the weapon or look down the bore to see what the condition of the weapons was inn. I don't think that I am going to tell a fellow Viet Nam Vet that is suffering with agent orange to put something in auction with no reserve and watch the auction go down the tubes. Thanks for the information I got and will do more research and see if I can put him in a better positon to get the maximum out of these weapons.

Emmett
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The market will tell you what they're worth.
    Some of the posters here get good numbers with no reserve.
    Psychologically, reserves seem to turn bidders away from bidding.
    Good descriptions plus a lot of good photos is the way to do it.
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can protect the seller by setting a REASONABLE starting bid. Some minimum bids are so high that they will only attract suckers, consequently the item is listed over and over without ever getting a bid. The only item I see that would have a great amount of auction interest and a high price is the Colt in .38 Super cal.
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Herschel
    You can protect the seller by setting a REASONABLE starting bid. Some minimum bids are so high that they will only attract suckers, consequently the item is listed over and over without ever getting a bid. The only item I see that would have a great amount of auction interest and a high price is the Colt in .38 Super cal.

I agree completely with the above.
    I have sold many items right here on GB and most all of them, I started at a penny with no reserve. I've done better than planned on 98%! A few I started with a very low starting bid and I did well on those also.
    Good luck,
    Ed
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Emmett Dunham
    I orginally posted this topic to help this guy out who could not even see the chamber of the weapon or look down the bore to see what the condition of the weapons was inn. I don't think that I am going to tell a fellow Viet Nam Vet that is suffering with agent orange to put something in auction with no reserve and watch the auction go down the tubes. Thanks for the information I got and will do more research and see if I can put him in a better positon to get the maximum out of these weapons.

Emmett

If you use a reserve you will instantly lose about 40% of your potential bidders and cost the seller more in fees. Setting a reasonable starting price accomplishes the EXACT same thing as a reserve. Many people refuse to even bid on a reserve auction, I am one of them. Look for completed auctions of guns like his, find the average selling price for the item and set your opening price there. The summer months are a poor time for selling guns. It may take a while for you to get top dollar but patience is a virtue when seeking top dollar. I hope your friend does well in his sales. Make sure you post links to the auctions in the general discussion forum so folks can see them.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Emmett Dunham

Emmett

then let him play games and not get what he wants or needs out of the items or have it take way longer than necessary.

cruise over to the auction side and look up seller "locust fork". dozens of auctions a week. some high dollar goodies. some solid quality work guns. a turd here and there; but EVERY auction started at a penny with no reserve. send her an email. over 2k transactions and iirc shes been burned a handful of times. stats dont lie.

if your nuts arent quite that big, which is understandable, then set a REASONABLE opening big and let her go.

many, many, MANY people dont even consider reserve auctions. using them cuts your audience down by a significant percentage....
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Set a REASONABLE opening big and let her go."
    +1---That has always worked for me. I recently sold a gun that way, and it brought $425 above my starting price.
    PS- When selling handguns, it is a LOT better to get a FFL dealer to ship them for you because he can ship them at 1/2 of your cost. Most of them will ship and charge you a small fee for the service.
  • llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tell the Vietnam vet Thank For Your Service,for me please.