In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W Model 66-2.

FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
edited May 2012 in Ask the Experts
MIL has a S&W .357 Stainless revolver w/4" bbl. Model says 66-2. I can find on the M-66. What does the -2 stand for.


  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Second change, i.e. model updates.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Does it effect value in any way? What the years of MFG be for a 2nd model?
  • BUCKAWHOBUCKAWHO Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi....I believe with the model 66-2 that Smith eliminated the pinned barrel and the recessed cylinder charge holes. Made the cost of manufacture less. Nowadays, seems to have reduced the sale values, too, as the models 66 and 66-1 seem to be more sought after. BT
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 66-2 went from 1982 to 1986.

    Whenever Smith made design or mechanical changes they put a dash and another number to signify the change. I think they are at about -9 or -10 on the model 66 revolvers.

    Love those 66's
  • ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FYI many S&W handguns, not just the Model 66, are so marked. The change is pronounced "dash two" so your gun is a Model Sixty-six dash two.

    I've had a 66-2 for twenty-five years. An excellent revolver.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The number after the hyphen, is whats called a engineering change. It denotes a major manufacturing change, as decided by manufacturer. It's not commonly done in the firearms industry. S & W is one of the only firearms manufacturers who do this, that I am aware of. On the other hand in industries that require precision manufacturing such as aerospace, parts have to be marked with engineering changes.
Sign In or Register to comment.