In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bert H.! I lettered the Rifle from CODY

Jim88Jim88 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited May 2012 in Ask the Experts
Remember this thread "1893 Winchester RIFLE not shotgun?????"

Here is the verbatim details from the official CODY letter for this rifle: Which matches it perfectly, but does not give any other info such as stock/checkering etc. ....

"TYPE; Rifle
Caliber; 30
Barrel Type; Octagon
Trigger; Plain
TAKEDOWN

Received in warehouse on November 5, 1898. Shipped from warehouse on November 5, 1898. Order number 8549

No other information is available for this serial number."

What do you think Bert?
Jim

Comments

• Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What exactly does it say on the top of the tang and on the barrel?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad
    What exactly does it say on the top of the tang and on the barrel?

It says "Winchester Pat. July 1893" on the take down lever of magazine tube. Is that what you mean? It is a model 1894.

And On barrel it says "NICKEL STEEL BARREL" (first line) "ESPECIALLY FOR SMOKELESS POWDER" (second line)
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim,

Your Model 1894 Take Down Sporting Rifle in its present state is not factory original.

The letter from Cody indicates that it was a standard rifle, with a 26-inch full octagon barrel, and plain grain non-checkered stocks. Just as I mentioned to you a few years ago, it is a late year 1898 production gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    Jim,

Your Model 1894 Take Down Sporting Rifle in its present state is not factory original.

The letter from Cody indicates that it was a standard rifle, with a 26-inch full octagon barrel, and plain grain non-checkered stocks. Just as I mentioned to you a few years ago, it is a late year 1898 production gun.

I disagree, the trigger is "plain", there is no mention of stocks either way. It would have said "Butt: and Stock:". I will have it looked at further. Thanks for your input. I've been offered $8,400 by an older gent. who collects Winchesters. But am hesitant to part with it. Thanks again

Here is an example of another CODY letter example:

Barrell: 18" Octogon
    Stock: Checkered
    Grip: Pistol
    Trigger: plain
    Butt: Rifle
    Ship Date: 3/21/1887
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here are more examples:

Specs

Barrell: 30" Extra Heavy Octogon
    Butt: Swiss
    Ship Date: 10/21/1890

Specs

Barrell: 26" 1/2 Octogon
    Trigger: set
    Butt: Steel Shotgun
    Ship Date: 3/2/1892

Specs

Barrell: 26" Octogon
    Stock: plain
    Ship Date: 3/5/1896
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim,

I have spent many hundreds of hours researching and using the factory ledgers. Your rifle does not "perfectly" match the historical ledger entry. Specifically, if there is no mention of "Fancy checkered stocks", your rifle was not original made and shipped with them. If you doubt what I am telling you, call the Cody research office.

If you got an offer for $8,400, you should take it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert for your time, but I am hanging on to it for now. I know that many original Winchester factory records were destroyed, and the CODY museum even told me up front that some information may be missing and incomplete. I even was told by one gentleman that he lettered his same rifle twice and received two different spec. reports from CODY using the same serial #.
  • Options
    kylewkylew Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim, I would be careful here. You do have a Model 1894 (not 93). Bert is correct. The "letter" shows that the rifle you have is a plain vanilla takedown model. Bert is also correct in telling you to take the $8,400.00 offer. Without seeing it I would think that was about double the true value. I just bought one a couple of weeks ago that was factory org, lettered, pistol grip, checkered, 3X wood, takedown, double set triggers, shotgun butt, Beech front sight, Lyman #2 tang site, cond 80%, for less than that.

The real problem here is that you either don't know much about these guns or your trying to buffalo the experts in the field. (I am not one of them). I collect what I like to look at and shoot.