In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best Low Profile Sights for Pistols?

JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in Ask the Experts
I was interested in 'drop-in' non-adjustable, snag free, low profile combat type sights for pistols as I prefer these types of sights for pistols that I am used to from military service, like on the 1911 and m9, any good recommendations?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Juggernaut,

There are several real good, inexpensive Novak, and Hennie type sights out there. Look at all the options they have at Midway USA, for starter's. They have/had a ton of stuff there, but things are going fast.

However, most of the time when going to these type sights, some extra machining on the slide has to be done fot the type of dovetail, and profile of the sight...hence the Novak cut, or Hennie cut. This means that along with the dovetail, there is actually a relief cut behind the dovetail also, to clear the sight base.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Juggernaut, There are several real good, inexpensive Novak, and Hennie type sights out there. Look at all the options they have at Midway USA, for starter's. They have/had a ton of stuff there, but things are going fast. However, most of the time when going to these type sights, some extra machining on the slide has to be done fot the type of dovetail, and profile of the sight...hence the Novak cut, or Hennie cut. This means that along with the dovetail, there is actually a relief cut behind the dovetail also, to clear the sight base. Best

Yeah I think that your right about having to have some machining done and have been looking at Brownell's, Midway and some other places but haven't come across what I am looking for yet. I may just have to go with the best that I can find of whats available at present, hopefully will find something. There was a place that I recall that had 'drop-in' combat low profile sights but I cant remember the name but will probably come across it if I keep looking, will check for what you listed as well...
    Thanks.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    If you just want to just the dovetail on your pistol, look into Millet sights. I have had a set on a 1911 for years now and like them as much as Novak,s and Heinie,s I have on other ones.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    If you just want to just the dovetail on your pistol, look into Millet sights. I have had a set on a 1911 for years now and like them as much as Novak,s and Heinie,s I have on other ones.

Revolvers too?
    Thanks
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Juggernaut
    Juggernaut, There are several real good, inexpensive Novak, and Hennie type sights out there. Look at all the options they have at Midway USA, for starter's. They have/had a ton of stuff there, but things are going fast. However, most of the time when going to these type sights, some extra machining on the slide has to be done fot the type of dovetail, and profile of the sight...hence the Novak cut, or Hennie cut. This means that along with the dovetail, there is actually a relief cut behind the dovetail also, to clear the sight base. Best

Yeah I think that your right about having to have some machining done and have been looking at Brownell's, Midway and some other places but haven't come across what I am looking for yet. I may just have to go with the best that I can find of whats available at present, hopefully will find something. There was a place that I recall that had 'drop-in' combat low profile sights but I cant remember the name but will probably come across it if I keep looking, will check for what you listed as well...
    Thanks.

Juggernaut,

I think that shop was MMC(Miniature Machine Company), and yes they did make some great sights. However, I believe they sold out to one of the larger names, but for the life of me can't remember who. You might want to also look at Fusion Firearms website. The last I knew they were making a Novak like sight, that fit the standard dovetail, and was adjustable for windage and elevation. They were not cheap, but they were well made. They have some nice 1911's to drool over to while you are there.

Best

EDIT 1

quote:xssights.com

Great sights. They started out on small guns, like the Beretta TomCat. They consisted of an oversized front bead in white or tritium, and a shallow, elongated "V" in the rear. They are FAST to acquire on target. While not a match or target sight, they are good for all of your intended purposes out to 50 feet or a little more.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Juggernaut
    Thanks.

Juggernaut,
    I think that shop was MMC(Miniature Machine Company), and yes they did make some great sights. However, I believe they sold out to one of the larger names, but for the life of me can't remember who. You might want to also look at Fusion Firearms website. The last I knew they were making a Novak like sight, that fit the standard dovetail, and was adjustable for windage and elevation. They were not cheap, but they were well made. They have some nice 1911's to drool over to while you are there.
    Best

Okay thanks, Hmm, sounds familiar and may have been the site, I will check that site out as well, but I am really looking for non-adjustable, combat, low profile sights.
    Regards
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out Cylinder and Slide for their "fixed" S&W revolver sights. They make a really nice set up.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Several different revolvers and auto pistols, as I see that alot of these come with adjustable sights and I don't care for adjustable sights sights on pistols probably because in the military we don't use or need them as fixed work just fine. I figured that if I could get fixed drop-in combat sights for both revolvers and auto pistols I would be set.
    One of the sites that I had been looking for was a site called xssights.com and they seem to have some low profile sights that might work along with the other sights that were mentioned as well.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As said, C&S makes a fixed sight for adjustable sight S&W revolvers.
    John Harrison makes a fixed sight for the Bo-Mar adjustable low mount dovetail seen on 1911s and a few others.

There are lots of fixed sights to replace the cheap adjustable Glock sights, installed at the factory largely to gain import qualifying points.

Other than that, replacing adjustable with fixed is going to be a one-off custom proposition on most common pistols and revolvers.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1