In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

380 ACP Grizzly vs Doubletap

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
Both feed fine. The Grizzly is a 70 grain +P lead free lathe turned bullet. The double tap is a 80 gr standard pressure lead free bullet, machine formed.
Anyone seen penetration testing results on either?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I don't think It would make much difference most likely center of mass both will not EXIT and be fatal Shot placement is KEY. flesh wound = exit and does not matter how fast it is still going when it EXITS
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To answer the question, no I haven't.

Probably the only way you're going to get a fair comparison is to do the penetration testing yourself. If you don't want to go to the trouble of actually mixing up your own ballistic gelatin, you could use simple plastic water jugs or wet-packed newspaper.

Responding to Perry Shooter, I think terminal ballistics are a little more complicated than just entry/exit. All else being equal, a bullet that exits moving slowly has spent more of its energy inside the target and has likely caused more internal damage than one that exits quickly. Bullets can hit vital organs and exit or miss them entirely and not exit.

But regardless of this minor quibble, I do agree with Perry that it probably doesn't make much of a difference here. No matter what you do with a .380 ACP its still a marginal caliber and where you put the round is going to be much more important than another theoretical inch or three or penetration in testing.

Its my personal opinion that people spend way too much time obsessing over what's the "best" round in any caliber, when the reality is that within any caliber you're looking at similar diameter projectiles of similar weight moving at roughly similar velocities. Given constraints of pressure, safety, and liability, there is only so much the bullet makers can do with any caliber, and the best rounds from the different makers probably aren't going to be all that different in performance.

In short, if you're not satisfied with the performance of the typical premium "personal defense" loads in any given caliber, rather than trying to "juice" the caliber with non-standard overpressure loads that are going to beat the hell out of your gun and wallet, IMO the smarter thing to do is move up in caliber.

IE, the absolute weakest 9mm luger is still going to beat the tar out of the very most powerful .380 +P+ ACP.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1