In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cut down rifle

BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
edited May 2003 in Ask the Experts
If the legal min.barrel length is 16",and min. overall is 26",wouldn't a(for example)Remington model 600 cut down to less than these limits be basicly the same as say a XP100(14.5" barrel)or Savage Striker(14")?

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.

Comments

• SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems to me there's some foolishness about it being ok if the maker shipped it with a 14" or 16" barrel but if you butcher a 600, it instantly becomes evil. That's the way it is up here, but I'm sure I saw that it's the same down there.
  • AmpersandAmpersand Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When a gun is made the maker has to register it with ATF and specifiy what type of gun it is. That's how an XP100 is a pistol but a 600 with a shortened barrel is a sawed off rifle. Once a rifle, always a rifle. Even if a rifle and pistol share the same action, ATF calls it what the maker did when it was made. A long barrel on a handgun doesn't make it a rifle. It is still a pistol according to the ATF.

&
  • CountryGunsmithCountryGunsmith Member Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neither the XP100 nor the Savage Striker are designed to be fired from the shoulder, hence the difference.

Shortening the Remington 600 requires the services of a "Class 2" manufacturer and registration as a short-barrelled rifle under NFA.

FFL Dealer, Class 07/02 Mfg
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ampersand.. correct
  • familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That reminds me of the hooey involved with my class III shotgun. A 'smooth bore pistol' is "Any Other Weapon", and only has a $5 transfer tax; BUT I specifically had to get one that came from the factory with a pistol grip. If it came with a butt stock, was meant to be fired fom the shoulder, it would be a "short barreled shotgun" and have a $200 tax regardless of whether or not I put a pistol grip on it!

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?