In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt SAA blackpowder frame value????

old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
edited April 2003 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone give me an approximate value of a saa colt with blackpowder frame.32-20 caliber-original bone grips.original nickle finish at about 60% no pitting--nice bore-strong rifleing. 5" bbl.mechanically exc. and tight.Front sight has been replaced and bbl cut to 5"????? All matching no's sn 127xxx Thanks.

Comments

• captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    This is one for Judge Colt or Antique Doctor......Be patient...They'll be along....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    In the Condition You discribe.....$5000.00 would be a Good Place to begin....
    I had hoped that Judge Colt and/or Antique Doctor would have come along by now and given you a better assessment of the value than I did, as they are top notch in the field of Colt Collecting..I have to go by personal observation and the fact that The value I Placed on Your Colt was drawn from how much I've sold Colts in the same general condition and vintage as Yours.....best....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • CountryGunsmithCountryGunsmith Member Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would be very suspicious of the finish. Most often, cutting the barrel and resetting a front sight involved replating the gun.

Your gun dates to 1888, which is the good news. The not-quite-as-good-news is that .32WCF is one of the least popular calibers in the SAA, and retail values lag considerably behind the .45 Colt and .44 WCF chamberings. All things considered, we are seeing cut-barrel SAA's in similar condition trading in the $2000 - $2500 range. Still a decent piece of change!

FFL Dealer, Class 07/02 Mfg