In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt National Match gold cup?

martzkj@msn.commartzkj@msn.com Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2003 in Ask the Experts
Are these rare in 38? What kind of value do the have compared to the same gun in .45? I'm going to look at one in the morning and was wondering what it's worth. THANKS

Comments

• Options
    PythonPython Member Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    martzjk;
    I assume this is a .38 super. And yes they are somewhat fewer in number than the .45 in this model. You did however, neglect to say what series it is, 70, 80, etc. In excellent condition, A series 70,
    Gold Cup National Match in .38 super, will fetch, in this area at least, in the 700 to 800 dollar range. They are great pistols, I have had one for years and would not part with it, well, at least when my wife's not packin'it around in her purse.
  • Options
    CountryGunsmithCountryGunsmith Member Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dont forget the Gold Cup Mk III Nat'l Match, which was .38 Special wadcutter (or "mid-range"). They'll bring up to $1000 or so.

FFL Dealer, Class 07/02 Mfg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Countrygunsmith, you hit the gun right on the mark. MKIII .38 special. I haven't seen the gun yet. I has told it's nice, but let's assume average for now. What would the value be?
  • Options
    rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what about the 38AMU? I've seen Colt's in that caliber too.
  • Options
    mike vottomike votto Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a pre gold cup n.m. mk111 m.r. these are very accurate guns.they use 38 spec wad cutter ammo only. spare mags are very hard to come by and expensive ($75-100ea). if you want to do serious target shooting its great. i think $1000.00 is good for a nice one.
  • Options
    fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gold Cup MKIII NM came with 2 magazines, test target, Colt paper work, box,. It had Walnut grips with gold medallions, the main spring housing was flat not arched. In 98 to 100% condition $1000.00 to $1200.00. If any of the above items are missing start deducting from the price rapidly. If there is any modifications like sight rib, steppling on grip metal deduct big time. Extended slide stops, safety, beaver tail grip safety, non-standard grips also deduct if the original parts are not with it. As this model was target only & only uses 38 special wadcutter ammo (it would be a poor choise for a carry weapon) so the over all condition should be excellent to be in this price range. The following would apply missing or non-standard items Box & paper work -$75+, Magazine -$65+, Colt grips -$25+, slide stop, grip safety, safety, main spring housing -$25.00ea+, Any modifications to the slide -$250.00+, Any Modifications to the frame as steppling, or changes to the ears to install a beaver tail grip safety you need to make up your own mind as they have destroyed the collector value.
  • Options
    fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at item # 8622456 the only non-standard item is the grips. (To me & only me), the opening price is to high for the condition (blueing wear, scratches etc.)
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Python is in error again. As far as I know, there were never any Gold Cups in .38 Super. (The Pre-War .38 Super target pistols were called the Super Match. There were some special edition target pistols made in .38 Super for distributors, but they were not called Gold Cups as far as I know. Python implies that .38 Super Gold Cups are common in his area, which I do not believe is possible, and that his wife carries one. A Pre-War Super Match is very valuable and I cannot imagine anyone carrying one, if that is what Python means.) As stated, there were Gold Cups in .38 Special, NOT .38 Super, called the Mark III Gold Cup National Match. The Mark III is a pure blowback action.

A Mark III is an uncommon pistol, but does not command a great deal more than a .45 because the .45 is more popular. A complete package with box and papers is quite valuable as stated, but I do not believe the guns came originally with two magazines. I got mine (box, papers, target, tools, etc.) from the original owner and only got one magazine with it. My experience with Colt automatics of all types of that era indicates only one magazine was shipped with them. Magazines are scarce as stated, but demand is low too.

These are essentially collector's items so condition and accouterments dictate their value. As a competition pistol, the Smith & Wesson Model 52 is more accurate and less expensive so there is not much demand for Mark III pistols as shooters.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guys!!! to bad for this gun. The only thing colt about was the slide and mag. At one time or another someone put this slide on another frame. Like they say if the deal is too good to be true it's probably not ($500).
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bummer! The pistol mentioned as up on the auction site right now (8622456) is rough and has incorrect stocks. That probably accounts for the semmingly low opening price, but I think it is plenty high for a rough gun with incorrect sights. Still, .38 Special Gold Cups are scarce and maybe you can negotiate a lower price if it does not sell. Then you can try to upgrade later while enjoying this one.

I am still curious to learn more about the plentiful .38 Super Gold Cups Python mentions, including the one his wife carries. A picture showing how the slide is marked would be appreciated.