In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.38 Special

MekaMeka Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited April 2003 in Ask the Experts
I need some help identifying a make and model on a gun. It is a .38 special. It is black It has a warthog carved under the cylinder release on the left side. It has a 3 inch barrel. It has brown wood grips with a waffle type pattern. I was told it was made in brazil. Does anyone know what the make and model may be?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Can .38 special and +P be loaded to 357 mag. specifications, using Speer 158 grain jacketed soft point, either 2400 powder 13.8 grains with standard primers, or H110 powder 13.9 grains with mag. primers

Thanks

John (irtuff)

carann@suddenlink.net
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How much is a 40 year old blue Smith & Wesson .38 Special worth? I think it is a Officers Model. Totaly stock and pretty good shape. This is a gun my grandfather carried when he was a cop. I want it for sentimental value. I want to pay my grandmother fair market value for this pistol to avoid any conflict with greedy family members who have already taken most his guns. Thanks
  • Options
    PRZNCOP110PRZNCOP110 Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a Model 10. But without the model I cant give an exact estimate. The model 10 in excellent condition is worth about $250. There are others here with a lot more knowledge than me,check back in a few hours and there will be more answers. BTW welcome to GB!

"SOCIETY PREPARES THE CRIME, THE CRIMINAL COMMITS IT"
  • Options
    aby80aby80 Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Smith and Wesson Military and Police Model .38 Spec. that I bought new in Feb 1953 (Ser. No. C2199xx). I also have a Smith and Wesson Model 10 .38 Spec. that I obtained new in July 1969 (Ser. No. D446xx). SaxonPig is correct on the value. I gave you the Approx Ser. No. so you can make a guess as to when yours was made. The ser. no. are on the bottom of the butt.

If you don't care where you are going, you can't get lost.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Apples and oranges! Is it a Colt or Smith & Wesson? Is it an Officers Model or K38 Masterpiece? Is it an Official Police or Military & Police? I would guess that it is a Smith & Wesson with adjustable sights (hence the confusion with a well-known Colt with target sights), probably a K38 Masterpiece target revolver. It could also be an Outdoorsman if it has adjustable sights.

Much more information is needed. Please identify the make for sure, state whether it has adjustable sights, post a serial number range and relate what is says on the barrel and frame. What is "pretty good shape?" Most police service guns become well-worn within a short time because of the rough service. It is rare to find one (other than one that has been refinished, which is really not the same thing as "pretty good shape") in "pretty good shape."