In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Elk Hunting

GblevinsGblevins Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
edited May 2003 in Ask the Experts
Can I legaly hunt with a scope if i'm useing a blackpower rifle in new mexico

Comments

• GblevinsGblevins Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the opportunity to buy a pre 64 Model 94 for $300. Is this a good gun for elk or should I spend my money else where?

What caliber is a good one?

Gray.
  • GblevinsGblevins Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some friends are going to WY soon to archery hunt. Then they are going back later with rifles for a later hunt and also have cow tags. One has a 300 Win Mag and his brother is taking a 338 Win Mag that I already own and reload for. Any ideas on the best combo of bullet-powder for elk in 300 Win Mag and the 338 Win Mag too.I've loaded a few for this (338) Rem 700 and they had quite a thump so I loaded some reduced loads with cast bullets and IMR 4759 to play.Any advise would be appreciated. BS
  • PythonPython Member Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gray;
    I'm assuming the 94 is a 30-30. Not my first choice for elk.
    In good shape this is a good price for the rifle. I would go with
    an '06 or perhaps a .300 or .338 mag. Yup, a little tougher on the
    shoulder, but, less likely to wound and spent a lot of time tracking down the elk. As with any game animal shot placement is all important,
    but, in my opinion a 30-30 is a bit light.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .30-06 is the best all around elk round. .30-30 is just not enough gun.
  • captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    I agree with Python and HeDog...The versatile 30-06 is probably one of the best Calibers invented....The 30-30 has been around a long time, and is a decent Caliber for about most everything on the North American Continent...but Bullet Placement is a big Factor with its lighter Bullet...The venerable Old 30-06 Bullet weight runs from 110 Grains to 220 Grains...and bullet Speeds from arouns 1200 to 3000+fps.
    I personally swear by this Caliber...and in over 50 years of Hunting with this Caliber around the World, I've never had to go search for a Wounded Animal.....Best...

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • nelchrisnelchris Member Posts: 557 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hello and welcome
    the 30-30 is a short range ,smaller deer or brush round
    .270 is the smallest, 30-06 is a great all around caliber
    but if you live out west and will hunt elk and muledeer, antalope
    I would get a .300 mag
  • pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get an '06 or 300 mag. I live in Elk country, and the 30/30 just does not have the range USUALLY needed to cleanly take an elk. If you can spend 2 weeks stalking around the forrest, you might get an elk to come into 100 yards of you , and then your 30/30 would work. Otherwise, you have to be prepared to "take 'em where you find 'em" Good luck!!

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI
  • valkyrie.ridervalkyrie.rider Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 30-30 will get the job done under the right circumstances, but you can do much better for elk.

I live in Colorado which allows me regular access to elk hunting. I did a lot of research a few years ago trying to find the "best" elk cartridge. For what it is worth, I decided on the .338 Win mag. Elk are big and tough. In my experience, big bullets with lots of "horsepower" seem to work best. The .338 has all that, and is a relatively flat shooting round. Combine that with readilly available, reasonably priced rifles and ammo and it is hard to beat. It does have stout recoil, but you will never notice it while you are hunting. Hope this helps.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are limited to a small battery of rifles, I would choose a 300 magnum caliber. A 338 is great for big game, but too heavy for most smaller game. I have a Weatherby in 300WM and can use it for just about everything due to the different bullet weights available for 30 caliber, especially if you reload.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    If ya got the muscles id go with a .50 cal but i like to shoot big game with big guns
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Where I live, I used to Elk hunt every year and have shot a lot of Elk, I used a 30-06 for a while, untill one year I had to track a wonded Elk for. I think a 100 miles[:(!] Went to a 338 Mag and every elk I shot went down.[:)] I reload 225 gr. bullets, some of my shots were up to 500 yards, I wont try a shot beyound that, to long in the tooth.[:(]
    When I said I used to Elk hunt, I would still do it but the fish and game have changed the Reg and has made it all most imposible to get a Legal Elk.[:0] so I have not bought a hunting licens for the past 4 years. and I am 66 years old and may not ever get to go again.[:(]
  • SSG ZAGSSG ZAG Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Snyder is right, the 30 caliber bullet can be had in so many weights and styles, it's the best choice for just about anything.