In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

scope for 10-22 target

bigford4x4bigford4x4 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited May 2003 in Ask the Experts
i'm looking for a scope for my ruger 10-22 target. what kind
of scope and what do you think of adj. obj. scopes.

thank you
bigford4x4

Comments

• Options
    dustyholdustyhol Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know that there are some that would disagree with me but I have (and really like) a Simmons Whitetail Expedition 4-12 x 40 on my 10-22 target. The AO really comes in handy and at 50 yards I am putting 10 shots in about the size of a nickel. At 100 yards the group is about 3 times that size.

"Practice is the best of all instructors."

Publilius Syrus
  • Options
    ohioghogohioghog Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hello bigford and welcome to the board!
    for th[^]e 10/22 target, im assuming a bull barrel set-up. i had a 6x18 on mine and to be honest, it was over-scoped. i would opt for a good quality 3x9 or even a red dot would serve it well. be sure of a good quality red dot if you go that route. the cheaper red dots will work well in low light, the dot spreads across the glass making it diificult to locate the target. i'm sure others will jump in here and offer other suggestions.
  • Options
    Bushnell BoyBushnell Boy Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The whitetail is a nice scope I have looked through them before.
    4-12x40 seems to be perfect for that rifle. I have a 4-12x40 Trophy made by bushnell on my 10/22 that ran about $190. It does the trick. IF you go with a 3-9 power scope make sure it has a fifty yard parelex setting and not a hundred like most of the 3-9's have.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you buy a quality scope, then the AO's seem (to me) to be totally useless. I have a Leupold 4.5x14x50 with an AO on my Remington 700 .300 win mag and I've only adjusted it to try it. I haven't cranked it in 10+ years.
    You didn't say what your use was for your gun. You said it was target model, so if that is all you use it for, over-scoping it really isn't a concern. However, if it'll be used for hunting (except the typically still prarie dogs) then I'd stick with a 3x9 or 4x12 as ohiohog suggested.
    I use Simmon's scopes on my cheaper setups, whereas I use Leupold on my more accurate ones. I guess it just depends what you need it for and how much you want to spend.

In life, two things are guaranteed: You were born, and you will die.
    What happens in between is up to you.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    martzkj@msn.commartzkj@msn.com Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On a low recoil gun like your 22. You can get away with a cheaper scope as long as it look nice and clear. I have a BSA 24 power on my kimber and the scope works just fine never a problem. On my 10/22 I have a 3-9 bushnell and that works just fine for me also.
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    my 10/22 target has a 6-24 redfield varmet and the back up gun has a 6-24 tasco target both scopes werw sent to T.K.Lee and had 1/8min.dots put in the scopes
    Lt.RRG

"Go over,go under,go around,or go through.But never give up."