In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Barrel Flutes

bill2740bill2740 Member Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a .308 Hart stainless bull barrel that I want
fluted. Looking for a gunsmith or shop in central
Florida to do the work. The barrel has to removed from
the Remington action.
Thank you much,

Bill

Comments

• Options
    ohioghogohioghog Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bill: i also have a hart barrel (6mm rem). i'm not really convinced that fluting is worth the cost. may i ask why you are doing this? does it dissapate the heat better or decrease the weight?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I want to decrease the weight and use the rifle for hunting.
    Right now, it is a 9.5 pound safe queen with a Mcmillan stock
    and a older Redfield 4-12 AO scope.

Bill
  • Options
    PythonPython Member Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bill;
    I don't know who, in central FL., to send you to.
    As a thought, however, it may be just as easy and about
    the same money to rebarrel the rifle. Barrel fluting can
    be expensive, and if not properly done, ruin a barrel.
    Since you intend to lighten it up for field use, perhaps, a
    good tapered barrel? Just an idea.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Python has some good points, another, yet expensive idea is to go with one of the new carbon fiber barrels. I had one on a 10/22 and it'd outshoot my stainless bull-barreled 10/22. The only problem with that is that it makes the front of the rifle almost too light. I personally shoot a barrel-heavy gun (off-hand) MUCH better than a balanced or rear-weighted gun.
    Just my 2 cents worth. [:)]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    bullhaulerbullhauler Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should first check with hart. Find out first if they will flute the barrel from you and how much it will cost. I believe they charge about 150-200 bucks to flute one. And they do that cool looking checkerboard fluting as well. Since they made the barrel, I would try them first. That way, if they screw it up they will make good on it. Fluting the barrel will not remove as much weight as you may think. It will however help dissipate heat. My suggestion is check with hart first. If what you want cant be done for a reasonable amount of money, Order you a lighter barrel from pac-nor.

welcome to America...now speak english or get the ****out
  • Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd want to be sure there's enough metal to do it before I sent it anywhere. A 1/8th deep flute doesn't do much. Then again, bullhauler, makes more sense than the rest of us. Call Hart. Plan 'B' would be to have it tapered. Any machinist can do that.
  • Options
    brayhavenbrayhaven Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fluting isn't that hard to do. I've done a few. All a gunsmith needs is a milling machine & an indexing fixture. I think it can have a positive effect by lightening up a barrel while keeping it stiff. In semi auto guns or ones you might shoot a lot like a prarie dog "homogenizer", they also disspipate heat more quickly.
    Greg S.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would suggest that if you send it to be fluted, that you have it cryo-treated afterwards, due to the new stresses that will introduced into the steel during the milling process.

You are probably better off to buy a new barrel blank that is fluted already. Take a look at E.R. Shaw barrels. They have a really nice spiral fluting that they do.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bullhauler and Sunray--good advise. I contacted the people at
    Hart Rifle Barrels. The price to cut six flutes is $120.00
    plus return shipping. My barrel O. D. at the muzzle is .885",
    so there shouldn't be a problem.

Bill