In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt Light Rifle 30-06 Rings/Base

bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
Hello I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get Rings/bases for a Colt Light Rifle bolt action. The ones that came with the gun are like a medium set and I need a high set. Also are there any Weaver type bases that will fit? Thanks for any information.....God Bless the USA

Comments

• bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    Nononsense..I tried the remington 700 bases front and rear and the front base fit but the rear does not.The hole spacing on the rear base is to long.I could not get a precise measurement on the spacing for the rear mounting holes on the receiver but they are very close to 1/2 inch..any help will be appreciated...Thank you ,Bull300wsm
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bull300wsm,

Well that's perplexing since my notes have it that they are the Remington 700 contour, both front and rear. Sorry about that! I'll look further and see what I can turn up.

In the mean time, if you have a pair of calipers, you can put the screws in the holes and measure the distance between the outside of both screws then subtract ONE screw diameter. This gives you the center-to-center distance. Is it possible to drill a new clearance hole in the mount without drilling into one of the other holes? If it is, that's what I would do. First make sure that the mounts are level to each other.

Otherwise you have to look for a single mount with the correct hole spacing and height and buy it. It would be easier to do the above (one hole) or get a blank mount the correct height and drill both holes with the correct spacing.

Best.
  • bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply Nononsense...I measured again like you suggested and came up with the same measurement 1/2''. The rear base hole is just about one hole off from the receiver hole and cannot be drilled without drilling into the hole of the base. Any more information wiil be greatly appreciated...Thank you Bull300wsm