In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope mount holes too shallow

OHHJIMMYOHHJIMMY Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have a rifle with 3 tapped holes for mounting a one piece scope mount. Two of the holes are too shallow, only catching about one and a half threads. Do you think a gunsmith will drill and tap these deeper for me?

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have a Dremmel or a file? Shorten the screw a little. 1.5 turns of engagement meets Mil spec. You are probably getting more. Maybe a washer under the screw.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Sounds to me like it originally had a SHIMMED Base mount...If it were mine I'd take it to a Competent Gunsmith for evaluation...before trying to Drill the existing holes any deeper and trying to cut the threads deeper...I've seen some real klunges in my day...and a lot of broken Taps along the way....At the very least try shimming the Base Mount and see if that solves your problem.....I wish You Well...................Have a Happy New Year..
  • Options
    WIN 1894WIN 1894 Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What rifle are you putting the mount on. email me and I may be able to help you.[:)][:)]
  • Options
    1armbandit1armbandit Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the rifle came drilled and tapped from the factory, I would call the manufacturer and discuss it with them. It may be a factory goof which happens sometimes.

I have a Ruger 77/22 mag that came with a defect that caused it to shoot very low--so low I could not adjust the scope enough to get it dead center. Ruger cheerfully replaced the whole gun for me, including shipping costs.
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the barrel drilled and tapped or the receiver? I have a Savage M24 30/30 over 12 and had the same problem. I mounted my scope and during sight in after a few shots the scope and base just fell off. I called Savage and they said send it back and they will fix it no charge. I told them I would rather take it to my local gunsmith and have it done to get it back in time for hunting season. The lady at Savage said go ahead and send us the receipt. It was $50 and Savage sent me a check within 2 weeks after I sent the receipt. Awesome customer service. Anyway if the barrel is drilled and tapped, your smith has to be real careful not to go too deep.