In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Commemorative Query: Albany Tricentennial NF

moadoctormoadoctor Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
Hello,

About 20 years ago a fellow enthusiast and I in Albany, New York worked with the Colt Custom Shop to develop a New Frontier Commemorative .22 SA to commemorate the Tricentennial celebration of Albany and Fort Orange, with extensive inlays and engraving in its own custom case. Fifty of these were produced, and I still own SN 002.

I later moved from Albany to Chicago, and unfortunately have no plans to return...and am downsizing my collection. Does anyone have an idea of the value of this revolver or where I might be able to market it most effectively?

Thanks,

Moadoctor

The Oxen are Slow, but the Earth is Patient

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I also lived in Albany (Clifton Park, actually) 20 years ago and I remember that revolver. I almost bought one but couldn't afford it at the time.

I would think that since it's a "local" commemorative, your best prospects would be in the tri-city area. Maybe you can contact a dealer there and get an idea what its current value is and maybe they would sell it on consignment for you. With all of the paperwork involved with New York's anti-gun laws, I would rather have a dealer handle the transaction.

Best of luck from a former "New Yawker" now living in gun-friendly Virginia!
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have a "Colt special edition", which is part of a special run that was purchased by a single person/organization/distributor directly from Colt. These are not as collectible as official Colt commemoratives that were cataloged by Colt & which were available through Colt distributors.

Resales of special editions are usually at a price substantially below the original price. Your best bet would be to try to find someone Upstate who missed out on the original sale, & who might be glad to get yours.

You may want to talk to the only US dealer who specializes in commemoratives:
    http://www.cherrys.com/
    I am sure that you will find their response helpful.

If I were trying to sell a gun, I would (& have) list it on the auction on this site. If you provide good photos, a complete description, & start the auction at a reasonable price with no reserve, it will sell.

Neal
  • Options
    moadoctormoadoctor Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1