In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22 Semi Auto

DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
I'm lookin for a good .22 semi auto.Tell me your stories of your .22 semi auto and if it has been good to you. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am thinking about buying a new .22 semi auto to use strictly for target shooting, I am getting thoroughly confused by all the choices out there--Ruger, Marlin, Savage, Remington and Browning. About all I have figured out so far is the Browning in more than I want to spend. Between tube feed or magazine, composition or wood stock, heavy or regular barrel, I am not getting close to a decision. Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My grandfather had a .22 semi-auto rifle that had a 7 shot clip that slipped into the front of the trigger gaurd and the bolt was on the left side of the gun. It was a winchester or remington. I am trying to find out which and the model. It was mfg. between 1950 and 1978. If I can find one in good shape I would consider a purchase. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    a .22 semi auto rifle.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    10/22 can't be beat! Got three and love them all![8D]
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a High Standard Tournament with 5.5" bull barrel & a 7.25"bbl. Have had it for many years, love the adjustable trigger pull and checkered wood grips. Very large adjustable rear sight with a partridge front gives excellent picture. Reliable & highly accurate on paper, also a deadly tin can killer. I prefer it over the Ruger 22 auto, which is a darn good 22 auto also.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    There have been MANY good, reliable and accurate designs over the years. But IMO you can't go wrong w/a Ruger 10/22. Mines about 20 years old and I don't think it's ever jammed.
    The Marlin Model 60 is a another time proven, quality gun. At generally a bargin price.
    I've been hearing BAD things about the new Remingtons. And I'm not a big fan of the better built, but still problematic older ones. IMO the Nylon 66 was probably Remingtons best offering.
    If you can find an old Steven Model 85 in good condition (which shouldn't be hard. LOTS of them out there). These IMO were pretty good guns w/a good rep for accuracy.
    There's WAY to many makes/models to evaluate them all, but these are a few that I've had experience with.
  • Options
    MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Browning Nomad purchased in 1969. It's a great gun...just a couple of things that probably go for all .22 auto's...First, make sure they are clean...especially in the chamber area...a light oil in this area has worked very well for me. Also...maybe it's just my gun...but it will jam with "Stingers". Their case is a little longer and when ejecting they get hung-up. They work fine in revolvers...but not in my Nomad.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I don't like Stingers in any, especially older semi auto's. Growing up I had Remington 552 and a Winchester Mod. 190. We thought Stingers were just COOL becuase they were supposed to be more powerfull. Both of my guns basically shot loose. Barrels became loose in the receiver. Gunsmith at the time (late 1970's) said it was caused by the Stingers. Guns weren't made for that extra pounding.
  • Options
    charlisitycharlisity Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've owned a Remington Nylon 66, a Marlin 60 and a Ruger 10/22. My favorite is the 10/22 which I currently own but the Marlin 60 is a close second. My memories of hunting with the 66 as a child make me love that gun and I plan to get one soon but it wouldn't be my first choice. The 10/22 is accurate, reliable, affordable, and easily customized. My current 10/22 only has an extended mag release button, Volquartsen sear, and modified bolt release. These modifications were about $25 all together and make the rifle a perfect fit for my taste.

The Marlin 60 is also a great gun but I give it 2nd billing to the Ruger because of the disparity in availability of after market parts. If you don't have customization in mind, I'd say the Ruger and Marlin are basically equals. I would be glad to own either.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pistol: H.S. or Ruger, whichever feels better to you. If the Ruger, add an aftermarket steel trigger with overtravel screw, or at least add your own screw to the factory trigger.
    Rifle? Yeah, the 10/22's are great. If you go that route, ring it out real good before you decide on any of the many after market options. I have an early 10/22. Only change I've made is to put in an overtravel screw on the trigger. With Mini-Mags or W-W Power Points it will put 5 rounds into about 5/8" at 50 yards and has occasionally kept all shots in well under an inch at 100 y.
    p.s. there are some nice used/discontinued options too: I had a Winch. Model 71 that I never should have let go. Every bit the accuracy and reliability equal of the Ruger.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    Calico w/ 100 rd mag, wish I had one.

Mine are 10/22 and an old Mossberg tube feed I bought for $25 a long time ago
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally I'm looking for a Mossberg with the fold down fore arm. If I dont find one soon I'll probably buy a marlin model 60. My girl friend picked one up at a gun show for $80 in mint condition