In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

High Standard, Supermatic, Trophy ML

Dwayne SheltonDwayne Shelton Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
I've inherited a Supermatic Trophy that is an "ML" series. Its manufatured at Hamden and has a serial number of ML05xxx. It has a 7 and 1/4 fluted barrell with two barrel weights and a muzzle break.
I'd apreciate any help on the value.

Thanks,
Dwayne

Comments

• Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    welcome to the boards!
    approx 550.00 plus or minus 50. the fluted bbl, brake, and wts bring a premium.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is the ML the same as the 107 model?
    Many thanks for the information.
  • Options
    JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    Yes, the 107 series design originated at about serial number 1,935,200 and contined in the regular serial number series until and then the serial number format was changed to a ML prefix serial number which ran from ML1,001 through ML 86,641. The design was not changed with the change in serial number format but the marking of MODEL 107 was deleted from the frame at about serial number 2,330,000

See http://www.histandard.info/models/pistols/107.html
    and http://www.histandard.info/datapublic/serial/pserialno.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    same is a trick word. same in appearences and function maybe, but the ML did have very minor changes. im sure john will agree with me that ML's dont receive the top of the line praise as far as QA in comparison to 107's. the majority received less than acceptable QA leaving the factory. there were some changes in the depth of the thumb rest on the walnut stocks too. if given the choice of which to own, id have to go with the 107. just curious, does you gun say hamden or east hartford? it should be hamden, but parts can be changed so easily, i just need to know for you sake.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bobski is correct, "same" in this case is somewhat realtive. There are indeed some subtle changes in in the 107 series but I don't recall any that occurred specifically with the change in serial number format to the "ML " serial number prefix. Some minor changes to parts did occur internally but none that resulted in a change in part numbers or in fit and function with one exception. The Wilhelm patented magazine release introduced with the 106 series annd continues on the 107 series was replaced by a Ralph Kennedy patented design late in the late 1970's. I also agreee that the grips are a lesser quality when compared wiht the earlier grips. The degree of effort expended on fit and polish was also not as good as the earlier guns.
    I also agree that the earlier models marked 107 are more appealing to me because of the appearance and the lesser liklihood of getting a clunker. The Blue Book does discount the values of the East Hartford manufacrued pistols which invlude the 107 series guns with serial numbers of ML 25,000 and higher.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This one displays hamden as the manufacturer. All the serial numbers match and it functions nicely. I'm assuming since its an earlier serial number in the ML series it may not suffer the poor QA problems. (Hopefully).

Thanks to both responders.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    john, based on his serial number, i'd assume its a pre move serial number, right? thus, its an in house hamden gun, not a hamden parts gun assembled in hartford? that would make his gun one of last of the good ones, agree? dwayne, is your gold trigger peeling yet?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've found a tool that was stored with the supermatic. Its a flat peice of steel about .062 thick, about three inches long. Its recticangle, about .500 high with a 1 inch circle on one end and a hole in the middle of the circle and small notch tabs on the opposite end. The envelope it was in labels it as a "Muzzle Brake Cleaning Tool". My grandfather was a machinist and could have easisly made this. Just curious if this sort-of thing existed from the manufacturer?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bobski,
    Yes that is a 1975 Hamden gun. The last ML from Hamden was ML 23,065 in 1976. The first regular serial numebr in East Hartford was ML25,000. (yes they left a gap in the numbers) There are a number of guns with serial numbers above ML 25,000 that have Hamden marked barrels but which shipped from East Hartford. This is one of the good ones.
    For general reference, you can see this data at: http://www.histandard.info/datapublic/serial/pserialno.html

Dwayne,
    That tool is for cleaning the muzzle brake and was furnished with the guns that had the removable muzzle brakes when they standard items. By the time your pistol was sold the weights, muzzle brake, muzzle brake tool, allen wernches for wrights abd muzzle brake and second magazine were sold separately.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dwayne, is your gold trigger peeling yet?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bobski,

As a matter of fact, the tigger is about the only thing that has a problem on this gun. On the back of it I found some blueish green corrosion trying to set in where the plating appears to have bubbled. It's quite minor and limited to the protrusion/knob on the back of the trigger. I take it this is common?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ah ha!!!
    the famous peeling trigger. the corrosion you see will effect the reset of your trigger. it must be taken out and cleaned real long and hard. that was the MAIN problem with trophies and the result is...youll see everyone unloading them on auction sites!
    that gold was plated on. its flaking off. the little part in the back of the trigger is the backlash adjustment screw in its base. make sure when you pull the trigger, (with a snap cap in the bbl,) see if the trigger returns 'forward.' if so, youre ok for now. keep it well oiled and take a swab and knock that gold/green crud off the best you can.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.