In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shotgun sabots ?

EndlssEndlss Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
Ok guys, I've been looking at single shot break-open guns to have as a first gun for a junior hunter.
If shooting sabots the barrel doesn't need to be rifled.. right ?, but what about choke?
My son isn't old enough but I've got two nephews. I found a bunch of 20ga guns with full choke are these ok for sabots ?

Comments

• makindumakindu Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is my understanding that the sabot style slugs were designed specifically for rifled barrels. The plastic enclosure surrounding the lead bullet is what actually engages the rifling, thereby imparting a spin on the bullet. A recovered bullet will have no barrel rifling marks on it. You will probably find that the standard Foster style slug (your basic/standard Remington or Winchester or Federal deer hunting slug) would probably be the better choice for your smoothbore shotgun barrels. Full and modified chokes tend to be a little tight for slugs. In general, You'll get better shot to shot consistency using an improved cylinder choke.