In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rem. pump 30-06 . Do I need small base resize?

BigoledudeBigoledude Member Posts: 39
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
A very fine gentleman offered me a Remington model 760, pump action, 30-06 for only $200.00 dollars. I accepted the offer and it's headed my way now. Will "full length" dies be OK, or will I need to go with "small base" dies in order for it to feed smoothly?

Ray

Comments

• Options
    DEG305DEG305 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being from the north woods of Pennsylvania I have owned several Remington 760/7600 pump rifles in calibers .243, .6mm Rem, .300Sav, .270, 30-06, and .35Rem. They are my "weapon of choice" for deer and bear. Accuracy is great as they all have "free floated barrels"! Follow up shots are quick and "natural". I reload for all these rifles and use standard full length dies and have never had any feed problems! Yes the 760/7600 has positive locking lugs. Used prices for a 760, 30-06 usually runs about $300. in this area. I just sold four 760's for $300 to $350 and they went quick![:)]
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good question, if the pump uses the same ammo as the bolt action it is not sized to the base of the round, if you size the round all the way to the base the round will fit lose in the chamber and could give you a wider pattern than you would like. Everyone should know that you don't use bolt action ammo in a semi-auto usless you want to pull the base off the round and have to use an extractor to get it out. I would e-mail Remington and ask them which they prefer you use.

Emmett
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    "Everyone should know that you don't use bolt action ammo in a semi-auto usless you want to pull the base off the round and have to use an extractor to get it out." ??????????????????? WTH does that mean 30-06 ammo is 30-06 ammo.

Regular dies will work fine, just as long as they are Full length dies, and not neck sizing dies.
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    For ammunition for recreation/plinking I use standard dies and full-length re-size and haven't had a problem with a 742-'06, BLR-308, BAR-7mmRM, BAR-'06, BAR .338-WM or 7600-35 Whelen.

RCBS recommends small base dies for these rifles, so that's what I load with for hunting ammo.
    I don't want to wait a year for bear season to come around and then have a mis-feed because I didn't take RCBS' advice or was too cheap to go the small base way.

All chambers aren't absolutely perfect or identical and you may have no trouble with regular dies. Do what you want, it's your call.

You probably will NEVER in your lifetime have a problem with factory ammo in a semi-auto, lever or slide action. It's made for them all, including bolt actions and single shots!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes a full lenght sizing will work, as I stated if the rifle is made to shoot necked sized rounds (bolt action) the round will not center in the bore as well and you may not be as happy with your groupings. 3006 rounds are not 3006 rounds!

Emmett
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The answer to your question is "maybe", as it realy depends on the chambering cut in your rifle. Will a standard FL sizing die work, probably (90% of the time). Will a SB FL die do the job, you betcha 100& of the time, but it's a lot of extra effort/expense if you don't need it. Buy the rifle (good price BTW), and try resizing a few rounds fired it it with your std die set to see if you need to spend the money.
    BTW, the only difference between a SB and a std is that the SB sizes slightly closer to the rim/shell holder. This is accomplished by reducing the amount of lead in taper at the mouth of the die, and serves to bring the lowest portion of the shell (expansion ring area) back down.
    Unlike what some people think, the SB die does not reduce the shoulder or body diameters or push the shoulder back and more/further than a std die does.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    tailgunner has this explained very well. If you use brass fired in a different rifle (range pick-up) you will need the s.b. dies.
  • Options
    DEG305DEG305 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    E.D. If 30-06 ammo is NOT 30-06 ammo W T H is it? I have been shooting 30-06 rifles since 1955 and have never encountered ammo marked for use only in bolt or semi or pump guns. I've been reloading for about the same amount of time and except for an occational Rem. 740/742/7400 semi, that was pickey, I've used always used full length dies to reload. Chamber dimentions are all basicly the same on any given ,06. The main reason for the use of s.b. dies is that on a pump or semi gun the leverage to work the action is not as great as a bolt. BIGOLEDUDE was only concerned with a pump so lets forget about the semi's on this post. BIGOLEDUDE, great rifle, enjoy it, and don't worry about the ammo, it will work[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did't put this in the last post, a friend of mine that has been reloading for almost as long as I been alive stated that the sizing for the bolt action helps reduce the amount of effort to eject the round from the chamber.

Emmett
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Emmett: Your not making much sense. Leave it alone and move on to another post. -- P.S.= If there is another centerfire cartridge that has been more widely used in more applications & gun types than a 30:06 I'd like to know what it is. The difference between S.B. dies & regular F.L. dies is for the type of action in the gun being used, not due to differences in ammo...........[8D].
    Bigoledude: To answer your question you will most likely be fine with standard F.L. dies in your 760. I would try them first and see if your gun feeds properly before buying the S.B. -- The pumps are not as picky the semi-autos and if you need more extraction power just pull a little harder with your "Bigolearm".............[8D]