In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Red Dot for .500 S&W

mikedeshoremikedeshore Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to find a good red dot sight for my .500S&W. I purchased the 4 1/2" barrel and I don't want to mount a large unit on it. Is anyone familiar with the Docter Reflex II 3.5 sight? If so, would this work and what is the difference between the standard sight and the Military/Law enforcement version which is more than twice the cost? The specs on the sight mention that it can withstand 500lbs of recoil.

Also, is Crimson trace going to make a laser grip for this pistol?

Lastly, are there any night sights( Meprolight or Trijicon) out that fit the .500?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never been able to keep glass on a hard kicking pistol. Mine is only a 35 Rem and has eaten 4 scopes. Finally gave up and went back to Iron. Sure - warranties are honored, but what good is that way out on a hunt? A couple of the scopes were low end, a couple were high end.. the best of the bunch went 200 rounds. Good luck on that 500.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I know some people will laugh but we mount both Gilmore and ULTRA DOT red dot scopes on 1911 type pistols. Now wait we mount them on the slide and I would think that the G force would be more this way then with one mounted on the revolver even if it is a S&W 500. I have over 1000,000 rounds thru mine and only had to replace the battery cage from flexing the contacts installing new batteries not from recoil. Try an ultra dot with the adjustable dot size and if it fails "I DON"T THINK IT WILL" Larry's guns will fix it free and then you can sell to a bulls-eye shooter for about $25.00 less what you paid."