In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

40 cal semi auto reloading

victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
I got a four die set for a 40 cal auto pistol. I have reloaded rifle ammo but never reloaded for a pistol. I'd like a book that could walk me thru the whole thing. My son-inlaw just bought a 357mag pistol , so i'll probably be reloading for his pistol also. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loading straight-sided pistol rounds is even easier than rifle rounds. If the sizer is carbide, you don't need case lube. The rest is quite straightforward, size, prime, expand, charge, seat bullet. The downside is that you will shoot much more pistol ammo than rifle ammo, and will spend more time at the press.

Any good book with loading data should have a walk-through for you. Lee, Lyman, Speer, all of 'em.
  • Options
    sean d ramseysean d ramsey Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    THE SPEER MANUAL #13 IS GREAT FOR BOTH RIFLE AND PISTOL ....
  • Options
    tlentlen Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't already have a carbide sizing die it is definitely well worth the money to get one..... Crimping .40 S&W is a no no. As a safety precaution, until you are experienced, it's a good idea to use a slower burning powder that fills the case sufficiently so that if a double charge happens the powder will overflow the case and be obvious. Be aware that bullet seating depth is very critical for 180 gr. and heavier bullets.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tlen
    If crimping is a no no for the 40 cal S&W why did I get a crimping die with the set? I'll be shooting the ammo out of a 40 cal XD. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm heading out to the gun shop and see what they have in reloading manuals. I'll post when I get back. Thank you all for your replys.
  • Options
    tlentlen Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:victorlvlb Posted - 12/31/2005 : 11:57:22 AM
    tlen
    If crimping is a no no for the 40 cal S&W why did I get a crimping die with the set? I'll be shooting the ammo out of a 40 cal XD. Crimp, i.e. "roll crimp", is undesirable for handgun cartridges such as the .40 S&W & 10MM which headspace on the case mouth.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tlen
    I found all I needed at the gun shop. They say that there are two types of crimps, a roll crimp ( used on revolvers ), and a tapper crimp ( used on the auto's ). Thanks for the reply.