In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

375/303 Axite

GazGaz Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited January 2006 in Ask the Experts
Hi,
This is my first post.
I was wondering if someone could give me some details on the 375/303 Axite round?
Is it a 303 British necked up to 375?
I know there is a 375/303 Westley Richards, but it is shown as having a .311 projectile.
Iv'e just built a rifle that is chambered for a .303 necked up to 375 and am very happy with it. Just wondering if I have reinvented the wheel?
cheers,
Gaz.

Comments

• Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Generally speaking a cartridge named under the British system puts the original case designation first, followed by the bullet size. The American system is to reverse it. So a British 404/450 would be a 404 case necked to 450. The same cartridge with American designation would be a 450/404; or a 22/250 or whatever. Since your cartridge is of British origin, I'd guess that it's using the British system.
  • South40South40 Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to Cartridges of the Worldthe two cartridges are the same. Axite refers to the brand of powder used. Both are rimmed cartridges using .303 bullets. The case is larger than the .303 Brit, having a powder capacity similar to a .300 H&H Magnum. S40
  • GazGaz Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boy, that was quick!
    Thanks guys.
    Cheers,
    Gaz.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .375/.303 Axite was NOT simply the .303 Enfield necked up to .375" despite what Cartridges of the World may allege. It was created as a companion round to the .318 Axite (rimless) in the early 1900s for use in single shot & double barrel rifles. The rim is about 0.020" smaller and the typical loading was .020 - .030" longer than the Enfield although other dimensional differences are nominal. CotW is a good basic reference for identifying cartridges, but contains numerous technical errors in terms of dates, origins & etc.