In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

savage 22 lr i.d.

horney4everhorney4ever Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited January 2006 in Ask the Experts
Trying to i.d. savage 22lr with the following info from rifle ; [1] manufactured by savage arms corp. utica ny usa...patented nov 28 1905,sep 7 1915, sep4 1917, nov 20 1917 [2] 22-long rifle with the word "long" stamped above the word "rifle" [3] there is no s/n stamped on the barrel above the stock line ...all stamping is approx. 1/16 to 1/8 in. height [4] stamped at the end of the bolt receiver below the stock line is the number 20605.The mag is a 5 rounder stamped savage sporter. The party that I bought the rifle from said it was a savage nra 19 and used the no. 20605 as the serial number.I have a NRA 19 and it is marked as such on the barrel with the s/n 41809 stamped by the ejector port. The bolts and receiver cut outs are different. It is similar in appearance to the NRA19. Could it be a newer or earlier 19 than the one I have ? Any help will be appreciated. Many thanks,

Comments

• Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    My Gun traders guide lists several variations of the model 19, w/different MFG dates ranging from 1919 thru 1942.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fatstrat, Thanks for the info I will get a copy of the book. Again, THANKS!!
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    How is the bolt and stock cutout different? Some of the early(?) Sporters and also NRA Match full stocked, not marked NRA Match or anything else, have a bolt with a single extractor and dual firing pin, Also the cutout on the left side is smaller or not there because there's no extractor on the left side to require it.
    The later 23a's and NRA Matche rifles have dual extractors and single firing pin and a bigger cutout on the left side, same as on the right side.

I think that number 20605 is also under the butt plate and on the butt and it's just there to match the plate with the correct stock.

There seems to be a lack of information on those early Savages.
    Check all the parts lists and you'll be as confused about those early rifles as I am. Most or all don't list parts or info on them before serial# 25,000.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ISHUTE....You were right about the number on the buttstock and plate they were matching. haven't had time to go any further but beleive it is a 23A. Like you said info is scarce.savage site refers you to a historian for anything built prior to 1995 !!! Lord only knows what that will cost...Thanks again for your help. greatly appreciated.