In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.22/20ga youth combo?

TXJonTXJon Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited January 2006 in Ask the Experts
I am looking to get my son started hunting with me next year. I want him to be able to practice with his hunting gun, but he's pretty small, and a lot of shooting with a 20ga will probably do him more harm than good.

Does anyone make a decent 20ga/.22 youth combo? The kind where you swap out barrels, not an over/under.

Thanks

Comments

• earlwellmanearlwellman Member Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a braztech .22-.410 combo for $120 from walmart. I have thaught of the trio of the .22/.243/20 ga for my 10 yr old girl[:)]
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3138529
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How small is he and how old? A kid, say 9 years and up and weighing over 80 pounds will easily overcome the recoil of a 20ga. shotgun... that is if he is really interested in hunting.

Rafter-S
  • TXJonTXJon Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. New England Firearms makes a .22/.410 too. I'm not sure about him putting a deer down with a .410 slug, though.

I've thought about a .223, but where we live and hunt is too populated for an 8 year old to be shooting anything centerfire.
  • TXJonTXJon Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He weighs about 60 pounds, in boots and wet jeans.

He has shot a 20ga, and he'd do fine on a deer with one. I don't think he'd keep the interest through few hundred rounds at the range, though.

I'd like him to get comfortable with the .22, then swap barrels for deer season.

If you can't tell, I'm also trying to keep the cost down.
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't underestimate a boy 8 years old. By the time my son was 9 he had killed 4 deer and uncountable doves and ducks. His rifle until he turned 13 was a Winchester 94 in 30-30 caliber, at which time he graduated to a Ruger M77 in 30-06.

If you start your son with a shotgun, start with a 20ga. and buy field loads for practice. He will surprise you.

Rafter-S
  • scubabobfscubabobf Member Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you get the 20 gauge, you could get an insert which allows 410 shells to be fired in the break action barrel. Hence you could have practice with 410 and hunt with the 20 gauge as appropriate. The little skeeters by Browning are available for about $40.
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    Rossi make one that comes in adult and youth models. The gun is a single shot break.
  • abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes , several company's make these , we like and sell the Rossi(braztec?)ones all the time @ 129.95 , they are really nice , I even gave one to my own 10 year old son 4 christmas this year ....
    Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn
  • slugoslugo Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As much as I hate to say it Walmart is probably your best bet.
    If they dont have what you are looking for they will order it.
    I think an over under is out of the question, too heavy.
    I think the idea of switching barrels is sound.
    I also like the idea of a gauge reducer.
    A flinch can be a hard thing to unlearn, so lots of trigger practice with a .22 and even with a toy gun to learn trigger control.
    We used to practice dry-firing with a dime balanced on the muzzel. If the dime didn't fall when the hammer fell we were on the right track.