In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Yugo Mauser 24/47

hksrulehksrule Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
edited January 2006 in Ask the Experts
I was curious as to the difference of this model Mauser vs. the model 48 Mauser. I am only guessing but I believe the 24 refers to the length of the barrel and the 47 is the date of entry. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Would this be a bad Mauser to own and shoot for fun. Would it provide me good accuracy out to 200-300 yds? If you guys could suggest another Mauser to get that would be cool.

Comments

• South40South40 Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 24/47 is a Yugo 24 Mauser that was refurbished in 1947. The M48 is basically a Yugo 24 that was newly manufactured in 1948. Both are intermediate length Mausers, which means the action is about 1/4" shorter than the common M98. The 24/47 and 48 are essentially identical, with minor differences such as straight versus curved bolt handle and the use of stamped bottom medal (trigger guard and floor plate) on some m48's. They are good shooters. S40
  • hksrulehksrule Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I had no choice but to get one. I picked up the 24/47 at Big 5. Big 5 has them on sale this weekend in Very Good condition for $129.99. The wood on the one I got isnt the best but I will refinish that. The metal is incredible. There is no area that isnt blue including the entire bolt. It looks brand new.
  • ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you may be seeing is preWWII metal work vs postWWII metal work. In 1947 the model 1924 Yugo's were reworked to something akin to the K98 specs. In particular the barrel length was made to about 23". I will also be picking up one of the Big 5 24/47 rifles as they are probably the best action, other then an FN M24, for building an intermediate length or short length cartridge custom Mauser on. My Yugo 24/47 7mmx57mm Mauser ultra light ( 6.5lbs scoped ) is a great rifle that shoots straight and is a pleasure to carry in the field. This is an action that I will always want to have on hand for future projects.