In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

mod 70 300WM BOSS setting?

cattle buyercattle buyer Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have put up and cannot find (std procedure)the boss book on a super grade 300WM, anybody have the sweet spot, start setting for Fed GM 190 gr match? very best

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    call browning,..they will send you a new manual. The supposed "sweet spot" doesn't work for each rifle. We select a setting and hand load to that rather than the reverse which takes a lot of ammo to determine.
  • blacarrowblacarrow Member Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prior to my retirement, I was the Chief Firearms test Engineer at Browning Arms R&D Division for many years.

I performed all the developmental testing for the BOSS system (well over 30,000 rounds fired)

To find your sweet spot, I'd suggest the following procedure.

With the system set at mid point, fire a carefully aimed 3 shot group. Adjust the weight 1/4 turn in either direction and fire another group of 3 shots. Compare the results. If the group is smaller, (if the group opens up, go in the other direction) continue in 1/4 turn increments until you reach optimum. The groups will open up again if you adjust past the optimum.
    It's important let the rifle cool between groups.

That's the procedure I followed in determining starting points for the system. All testing was with commercial ammo, in a 100 yard tunnel with VERY good optics. After a short time, no one got very excited at any groups that were not sub 1/4". I recall one group that was .0029, right, 29 thousandths of an inch, but it must be remembered this was done under optimal conditions with high quality optics.

Hope this is of some use to you. I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Best regards,
  • cattle buyercattle buyer Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rob, I bought a mod 70 30-06 boss in the mid 90s,I started at the stated starting point using Federal 165 gr BTs,after a very small amount of tweeking it was a cloverleaf or better group. The first 7 or 8 trigger pulls after were bang flop head,neck and spine shots on whitetails,I have since bought a .300 and 30-06 both in super grade,my hunting partner had to have my old orig 30-06! Im sold on the boss system! I did spring for the CR weight for hunting.
  • swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .029 29 thousandths

.0029 29 ten thousandths

Which is it?

I recall one group that was .0029, right, 29 thousandths of an inch,