In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Water-Based Gun Finish?

Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
Anybody use waterbased finishes for gunstocks? I know these finishes are clearer than some of the oil based varnishes that can be yellow with multiple coats. Are these finishes durable?

Comments

• Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've tried pretty much everything and tru-oil works best
  • Options
    ni haoni hao Member Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree. Tru-oil is the best I have tried.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I have seen some that used water based acrylic, looked fake but wore ok. Personally I like Tru Oil, Linspeed, or in a pinch even a good polyurethane.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    You still can't beat Auto clear coat for the best all around protection....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I used to paint cars, and auto clear coat is not that good. It peals easily if chipped.
  • Options
    AlmostcertifiedAlmostcertified Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I refinish antique furniture as a hobby. I just did a shotgun with TruOil and it was great - used pumice etc. However,next time I will use tung oil which I use a great deal on furniture. It a natural product that drys hard and if you get scratchs you can use 0000 steel wool and apply more and is back to perfect.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    With a little getting used to, tru oil is easy to repair.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stick with the rubbed products for classic looks and protection, and I've never heard of a water base product that was worth a rub.
    Tru oil has a large following ... it gives good results and is forgiving in variables of application. While I don't use it much, I would recommend it.

Most polys will be relatively hard and chip...making it tough to 'touch up' and boo boo's you want to remove. (Most oil-rub finishes respond well to a clean re-rub.)

The 'fake' look is a good description.
    I don't like it...but that's just me.
    I've seen some unique finishes....but again, never a water based product.