In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

difference between H&K SR9T and PSG-1

marek13marek13 Member Posts: 209 ✭✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hi I recently came across HK SR9T in decent condition guy wanted $2200 for it. Although I own PSG-1, which was given to my by my father years ago, I don't want to shot it, as it is unfired and in 100% collector condition with all gadgets. I was always curious how does this baby shoot. I do not wand to spend $8000 just to shot it. How are the SR9T modes? is it decent can some one share some info on it. The other thing; my friend was trying to modify HK91 so it would look like PSG-1 can you do it I guess he wants to turn some heads at the range.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    Marek, I can understand why you don't want to shoot that PSG-1, they are far too valuable to fire if NIB with all of the acessories. I own a SR9 TC, target competition rifle. It has the same butt stock, trigger group and contoured handgrip as your PSG-1, while the SR9-T has the simpler MSG90 adjustable stock. Both SR's have iron sights which the PSG-1 lacks and do not have the PSG-1's fixed scope mount. The PSG-1 has a heavy weight 25-1/2" barrel where as the SR9-T/TC have a medium weight barrel a bit under 20". All types use polygonal rifling. The receiver of the PSG-1 is specialy strengthend with two reinforcing ribs welded onto both sides and protruding into the interior of the receiver. This stiffens it tremendously and also helps to support the added weight of the heavy barrel, which is fitted about 3" into the receiver and welded using a specail "step". There are other extra features on the PSG-1 and they help to explain the high cost when the rifle was still available.

I've outfitted my SR9-TC with a Zeiss 1.5X6 Diavara-DA scope on an HK mount. Instead of the deluxe tri-pod of your PSG-1, I installed an HK heavy bi-pod and use the slim-line forearm. I also added an ejection port buffer to keep those cases from FLYING! The stock rear sight is usless since the adjustable cheek peice of the PSG-1 stock places your head too high to use the sights. The rifle is very accurate but I still prefer to use my Steyer SSG-PIII rifle for SERIOUS work.

Your friend can modify his HK-91 to look something like a PSG-1, although the short 17-1/2" barrel with a flash hidder will spoil the look! PSG-1 butt stocks are available from commercial sources along with trigger groups and the stippled walnut handgrip. Don't expect that stuff to come cheap! The PSG-1, SR9T and SR9-TC were fine rifles and it is a damned shame that Clinton pulled the plug on their importation back in 1997 due to the fact that they could accept a high capacity magazine. I'd love to hear the number of crimes commited with any of these three rifles!

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    doomsknight62doomsknight62 Member Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think too many criminals would have financial ability to get ahold of these. And because of their price, not too many collectors would have them so the criminals couldn't steal them.
    I always wondered why they think that limiting their choice of weapons is going to keep crimes rates down. So...they can have ten rounds instead of 19? I don't know...if I get shot ten times...I'm still probably going to die.

" God is in His Heaven, All is Right in the World. "
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Building a PSG-1 clone is becoming very popular in HK circles, either from an HK-91 which is highly reccomended because then you don't have to worry about your parts count like you do with a clone reciever ... also the clones barrel trunion is typically not square with the reciever.

Murry Urbach has been doing these conversions for many years, and can provide everything from reciever reinforcements, the barrel and the PSG-1 handguard to the forward assist and PSG-1 Stanag scope base. His standard conversion is the barreled upper only and does not include the stock or grip/trigger-group ... completely refinished to HK spec's is about $3500 ... if built on a "real" HK reciever, total investment including the stock and grip/trigger-group would be around $6000 ... a far cry from the 12K (used) they are bringing now

Here's a clone a guy from another board was building, he incorperated a steel weaver base and iron sights as a backup ... last I heard it was for sale so he could build one on a "real" HK reciever.

Ditto that Mark, it would be interesting to see how many HK-91's, SR9, T & TC's and PSG-1's have been used in crimes ... I'd also like to see the same stats for the AUG, FNC and SIG 550's used in crimes ... I'm sure the stats wouldn't support the reasons for banning them ...

=============================
    Chance favors the prepared mind
    =============================
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    PhessorPhessor Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    Marek, I can understand why you don't want to shoot that PSG-1, they are far too valuable to fire if NIB with all of the acessories. I own a SR9 TC, target competition rifle. It has the same butt stock, trigger group and contoured handgrip as your PSG-1, while the SR9-T has the simpler MSG90 adjustable stock. Both SR's have iron sights which the PSG-1 lacks and do not have the PSG-1's fixed scope mount. The PSG-1 has a heavy weight 25-1/2" barrel where as the SR9-T/TC have a medium weight barrel a bit under 20". All types use polygonal rifling. The receiver of the PSG-1 is specialy strengthend with two reinforcing ribs welded onto both sides and protruding into the interior of the receiver. This stiffens it tremendously and also helps to support the added weight of the heavy barrel, which is fitted about 3" into the receiver and welded using a specail "step". There are other extra features on the PSG-1 and they help to explain the high cost when the rifle was still available.

I've outfitted my SR9-TC with a Zeiss 1.5X6 Diavara-DA scope on an HK mount. Instead of the deluxe tri-pod of your PSG-1, I installed an HK heavy bi-pod and use the slim-line forearm. I also added an ejection port buffer to keep those cases from FLYING! The stock rear sight is usless since the adjustable cheek peice of the PSG-1 stock places your head too high to use the sights. The rifle is very accurate but I still prefer to use my Steyer SSG-PIII rifle for SERIOUS work.

Your friend can modify his HK-91 to look something like a PSG-1, although the short 17-1/2" barrel with a flash hidder will spoil the look! PSG-1 butt stocks are available from commercial sources along with trigger groups and the stippled walnut handgrip. Don't expect that stuff to come cheap! The PSG-1, SR9T and SR9-TC were fine rifles and it is a damned shame that Clinton pulled the plug on their importation back in 1997 due to the fact that they could accept a high capacity magazine. I'd love to hear the number of crimes commited with any of these three rifles!

Mark T. Christian

How do you like your Zeiss 1.5X6 Diavara-DA scope?
    Thank you, Phessor [8D]
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Zeiss on my HK91 w. PSG trigger group (can't afford to go whole boat) and like it very much. FWIW, I liked it so much, all my scopes are now 30mm. I have also had very good results with Kahles, Schmidt and Bender, and Zvarovski's with I have mounted on my HK91.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read only around 400 PSG-1's and 225 comobined SR9T & TC were imported.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Phessor -
    I'm sure you noticed this thread is nearly 6 years old ... unfortunately Mark Christian doesn't post here any more.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.