In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

German Sniper Mount.

august16august16 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
Thinking about building my m48a into kinda of a k98 sniper rifle. And was wondering where I could find a high quality reproduction k98 sniper mount like the germans used on there k98's during WWII? Also am wondering how well this mounting system would hold a setting? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    There are several different mounting systems that were used. Which one are you looking at? The most successful was the Zf39 system using a turret mount, however the Zf41 is the easiest to duplicate.

For reference;

Backbone of the Wehrmacht, the Sniper Variations by Phil Law
    The German Sniper by Peter Senich
  • Options
    august16august16 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ZF39 is the better looking one, so I would probably go with it. Thanks for contributimg.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by august16
    The ZF39 is the better looking one, so I would probably go with it. Thanks for contributimg.

Expect to spend about a grand plus whatever the cost to have it installed. Mounts run about $600 and you can probably find a decent period Ajack or Zeiss scope for a few hundred. Interord and Sarco have the mounts sometimes.
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    The biggest hurdle is getting the scope mounted into the rings (if you are going after a truly authentic look). The scope has to be disassembled and the rings slid on and then silver-soldered. Very expensive.

However, there are some almost-but-not-quite authentic mounts with split rings that would save you a bundle. Check ebarf for a seller named accumount.

Good luck.