In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1970s' Ruger 77V tang safe ?

cattle buyercattle buyer Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
Who made the barrels for Ruger in the 70s' in .220 swift and 22-250? Ive owned 3 and they were true 1/2 and 1/4 " shooters with good glass and slower 55gr (old Horn custom) ammo,now the .243 and .308 shot like a drunk was pulling the trigger with a string,I had to spend big bucks with Robby Barkman to turn the .308 into a one holer. I have heard the 26" heavy .22barrels came from a top barrel maker.. very best

Comments

• Options
    2xbyu2xbyu Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CB;

Don't know about the M77, but the Ruger #1 barrels were made by Douglas 1967-1979, Wilson 1979-1991, Ruger hammer forged 1991 on.

May be the same for the M77, but I don't know.
  • Options
    UncleFuddUncleFudd Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cattlebuyer;

I have the new model of the heavy stainless #1 in 22-250. I don't know who the barrel maker is, but I thought for some reason that Ruger is making their own now.

I know I have the Blaser R93 LRS2 in both 223 and 22-250 and it is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot and my new #1 will shoot with it every round out to 350 to 400 yards.

But the one thing I was forced to do was to replace the factory trigger with a new one as the factory could not be adjusted or worked to less than a very heavy 3 to almost 3.5 lb pull.
    That is just not acceptable for accurate shooting. I called the factory about it and they told me they will absolutely not reduce their triggers less than 4 lbs so I bought a new one and it has made this gun extremely acccurate for prairie dogs.

I imagine the factory would tell you who makes their barrels as they seem to be very forthright with me on other issues.

Good luck.

UF
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A guy here had an exceptional early Ruger 77V Swift. When he saw just how accurate it was, he quit burning barrel life on groundhogs and shot it in sporter benchrest matches.
    He said that the early ones had Douglas barrels so as to establish a reputation, then they went back to the cooking grade Wilsons. I read that Ruger had a Krupp hammerforge machine sitting in the corner for several years before they concluded it was more economical to make than to buy.
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same gun in 220 swift & i also wonder who made the barrel.
  • Options
    cattle buyercattle buyer Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Hawk,Mine is a mid 70's 77V, Douglas does ring a bell in my halftimers mind and it is a 1/4" gun if I do my part and the temp and wind and the Hornandy custom 55's from the mid 90s do there job! very best[^]