In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38 S&W

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in Ask the Experts
I bought a Marlin combination mold and reloading tool in 38 S&W M.

I had hoped to be able to cast and reload the 38 S&W round in it. The mold, bullet sizer and priming parts work fine. However, it will not seat a bullet. The cavity is just too long. Any work arounds to make it work?

So what's the difference between the S&W and the 38 S&W M? Is the 38 S&W M a rifle cartridge? Is there a 38 S&W Short, Medium and Long?

Thanks

Jim

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    32 S&W can it be shot out of a 38 SP??Are 38 short Colt the same as the 38 S&W?Can someone explain the differances in these 38 cals 38 S&W 38SP 38 long and short Colt.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Could the 38 s&w be considered for a modern day conceal carry caliber? If so what would kind of revolver to use? Would the old top breaks in good condition be ok? This would be carried by a woman. Thank You. Okie joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    my neighbor stopped by today and gave me a top break 38 s&w 5 shot revolver. It has the pearl handle stocks and what seems to be a grip safety. The finish, nickel I presume is tarnished in spots bore is good.It has a 3and 1/4 in barrel.Can't find a model number.Serial # appears to be 197197. Can't post pics at the moment...anyone give me some info.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    well the .38 s&w is shorter than the .38 s&w special so ??? there was a .38 maynard (sp?) that was longer.
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by victorj19
    I bought a Marlin combination mold and reloading tool in 38 S&W M.

I had hoped to be able to cast and reload the 38 S&W round in it. The mold, bullet sizer and priming parts work fine. However, it will not seat a bullet. The cavity is just too long. Any work arounds to make it work?

So what's the difference between the S&W and the 38 S&W M? Is the 38 S&W M a rifle cartridge? Is there a 38 S&W Short, Medium and Long?

Thanks

Jim

How is the tool marked? Does it actually say .38 S&W on it? If it's a Marlin tool, it's probably for one of the .38 Long black powder rifle cartridges.

But if it works for the .38 S&W revolver round except for bullet seating, you should be able to make a plug to shorten the cavity.

What weight bullet does the mold cast?
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Also what is the diameter of the cast bullet?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't have a loose bullet to weigh.

The diameter of the sizing hole is .360 or .361

The tool is definately marked "38 S&W M"

I searched around on the net but couldn't find a similar Marlin tool. Nothing close to a pistol length cartridge for for a Maynard or Ballard.

Whatever I got must be so rare I can't find out what it's for.[:0]

What would you use as a filler? A wood or lead plug (38 Spl wad cutter) might try a bullet cast by the mold(could do it in pure linotype so it won't deform).