In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Three Screw

BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have recently purchased a ruger 3 screw serial # 79016 chambered in 357 in very good condition just curious the year of manufacture and approximate value can anyone help? Thanks John<{{{><

Comments

• Options
    BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger Blackhawk .357/.38. It is an old three screw model, serial number 30-177XX. Does anyone know when it was built?

I would like to buy replacement grips for it, probably a white color. Looking at Ebay offerings I find it difficult to find grips for this older model Ruger. Virtually all of the grips offered are for Vaquero, New Model, and so on. The one offering I did see said that fitting would probably be required. Where can it get white grips that simply screw onto the handle?
  • Options
    76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    deluxe86deluxe86 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The correct grips for your Blackhawk are "XR3-RED". Grips that fit the original Vaquero (not the new Vaquero), Blackhawks and Single-Sixes made after 1962 will fit your gun.
  • Options
    deluxe86deluxe86 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just checked, go to the Ruger Website "On-line Store". Under Revolvers click on accessories, then grips. Item #19966, Simulated Ivory w/Black Eagle Scrimshaw, they will fit your gun assuming that it has the original grip frame.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you go to the auction side here at Gunbroker there are 143 listings for Ruger Blackhawk grips. Surely one of those would fit.
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    BTW, the "XR3-RED", means "REDesigned" i have a .357 and .41, they came with an aluminum grip frame, both revolvers were "out of balance" for me, so i bought the Super Blackhawk steel frame polished them to a mirror like finish, installed the steel frame and WOW ! what a difference in handling, NOTE: i done this about 1972ad.

i forgot to add, the grips fit perfectly in the swap over, so if you can find a set of walnut grips from an early Super Blackhawk..,you're a winner !