In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

98 MAUSER RIFLE

peedadpeedad Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
edited August 2011 in Ask the Experts
I mounted a set of 2-piece bases and a set of see thru mounts on my 98 Mauser w/ a bent bolt. The trouble i'm having is that when you open the bolt, the bolt knob hits on the bottom of the scope. Any ides anyone. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to get an higher rings. If you have an low, try an med. set, if you have an med. set try an high set or shimming the mount. Is this an aftermarket/gunsmith turndown bolt handle?

Spec.4
  • Options
    peedadpeedad Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir, not sure about the bolt handle but will try some higher rings. Thanks
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "I mounted a set of 2-piece bases and a set of see thru mounts". I don't think you'll be able to find higher rings, you need to have a new bolt handle welded on or the original 'forged' lower. the is s.o.p. for mounting scopes on m-98's. you'll also need a 'scope safty'.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Any ideas anyone"?

Go with a scout setup.

You only get limited magnification and you'll get a more narrow field of view, but on the other hand, you can mount the scope nice and low, and not worry about eye relief or bolt clearance.

48yugoscoutsk.JPG
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    peedad,

Your solution leads to no cheek weld and your head positioned above the buttstock. You need to cut the existing bolt handle off and weld a properly designed new handle on.

This is a straight bolt handle

mauserbolthandlestraigh.jpg

This is a bolt handle with a radius bend

mauserbolthandlewithrad.jpg

This is the proper method for using a mounted scope

mauserbolthandlebending.jpg

The bottom example is from an FN or Interarms Mauser bolt.

Best.
  • Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by peedad
    ...... set of 2-piece bases ....... set of see thru mounts. Any ides anyone. Thanks

Sure - quit now, unless you enjoy constant re-zeroing.
    See-thru's are universally recognized as KRAP.