In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

G.33/40 disassembly

Ruckin69Ruckin69 Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in Ask the Experts
How the hell do you take this rifle apart? I've done a Persian mauser and a K98 but this one stumps me. I got the back band off and the bolt, magazine out but, I cant slide the front band off due to a Rivet or pin or get the barrel off? There is nothing on youtube and I dont want to ruin the stock. What am I missing????
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Given the collectors value of a 33/40 in original condition I wouldn't be disassembling it just for S & G, or because you had nothing else to do on a Sunday morning.

If the upper band isn't retained by a spring it's either a pin or rivet that holds it in place. If it's riveted it's not meant to be disassembled and I wouldn't screw with it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice. I wanted to give it a thorough cleaning and assumed that it was the same as a Persian until I found that the band wouldn't disassemble off the stock. Unless I can figure out the trick to doing it, I will be leaving it alone considering its value and it being an all original gun. Thanks.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ruckin69
    Thanks for the advice. I wanted to give it a thorough cleaning and assumed that it was the same as a Persian until I found that the band wouldn't disassemble off the stock. Unless I can figure out the trick to doing it, I will be leaving it alone considering its value and it being an all original gun. Thanks.

More likely it's a pin rather then a rivet. Figure it's been in there 65+ years, it's probably rusted in now. Only way your going to get it out with buggering up the upper band is to mask the band with duct tape. Then use a brass pin punch slightly smaller then the pin. Try to loosen it up and get Kroil around the pin to soak in so it will loosen up. It might take a couple of days of taping and Kroiling before you can get the pin out. Once you got it to move use a steel pin punch the same size as the brass one.

EDIT #1, It goes without saying if the pin is tapered, one side will be bigger then the other. To get it out you will have use the pin punch on the side with the smaller diameter.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That was it. I didn't realize that the pin went straight through the stock to where the spring is. The only other thing I can't figure out is how to get the top wood by the site off but I'll clean around it with fear of ruining it.[:D] Thanks for your help. Can't believe I didn't see that pin under the spring.
  • Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    G.33/40 bands remove exactly as K98k bands do, but from the opposite side. Use an FMJ bullet's nose to depress the "button" on the bandspring & then slide the front band forward.

The handguard has an internal "C" shaped spring @ top rear (ala the Vz.24): it's open on the bottom & clamps around the barrel. Removing the handguard first requires removal of bands per above. Then, raise the rear sight leaf 'till it stands @ 90 degrees to barrel. Carefully lift the handguard from the rear - and do not pry on it w/ any kind of tool(s).

After breaking it, shoot me a PM & I'll be happy to provide a replacement, as I'm settin' on several of 'em, along w/ numerous other 33/40 parts.
  • Options
    edited November -1