In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

thoughts on super redhawk 45LC/454

Ed_HiltonEd_Hilton Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited August 2011 in Ask the Experts
All
Thinking of picking up the super redhawk in 454 casull. It will also shoot the 45 long colt. Now just because it will shoot it does not mean it it will shoot it well. My question, will the gun acurately shoot the 45LC.I would be using that(45LC) mostly for target practice and fun and would like the ability to to also shoot the 454 casull. Understand I would have to sight in differently for each. To the people have one, do you like it or should I just get the 44mag?
Thanks

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ed Hilton,

While we can't gaurantee that any firearm will shoot any load accurately, what I can do is offer you some experience. I have shot quite a few different Ruger Redhawks, and Super Redhawk's, from 357 Magnum to the 454 you mention. I have not seen one of them shoot badly. I have a 41 Redhawk, which is like driving a Caddy, and a Corvette at the same time.

Just another benifit of the Big SRH, is that you can shoot the rocks and dynamite loads for the 45 Colt in it, that are offered by Double Tap, and Buffalo Bore. They will be between the standard 45 Colt loadings, and the 454...nothing but sweeeet!!!!!!!

Best
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot the Super Redhawk in .44 mag, but not in .454. I can't comment on the accuracy of that platform in .45LC, but I can say the gun is built like an absolute tank! If I were after a .454, the Ruger would be on my short list.

On your question, as food for thought, just consider that you can buy .44 magnum ammo at any Walmart, sporting goods store, or anywhere else that sells ammo.

You're not going to find .45LC at a typical "big box" store, and you're only likely to find .454 Casull magnum on the shelf at a well-stocked gunstore.

Of course you can mail-order any ammo you like, or get your local gun store to get you some, but those things often cost a bit more than buying ammo off the shelf.

In terms of absolute costs, consider that the absolutely CHEAPEST commercially loaded .454 rounds run about $1.10 EACH, and then go up (considerably) from there.

For handgun rounds, .44 magnums aren't cheap, but they can be had starting at about $0.45 each (and up), meaning dollar-for-dollar you can fire over twice the number of shots as with a .454.

Interestingly, .45 (long) Colt is actually MORE expensive than .44 magnum, starting at around $0.65/round and going up from there.

.44 special (which is ballistically similar to .45LC) is usually priced the same as .44 magnum, so if you're after something "light" to shoot in your revolver you can still do that with a .44 magnum.

The point is, .45LC/.454 guns may be fun to shoot, but unless you're reloading, they're not cheap to shoot! Lots of people buy these uber-magnum handguns for fun, find out that they're expensive to feed, and actually sort of unpleasant to fire with full-power loads, then put them in the back of the safe after only 1 or 2 range sessions, never to be shot again.

So along those lines, in my opinion, .454 is a good caliber for hunting large things with a handgun, or for bear defense, but IMO .44 magnum is probably better suited for casual recreational shooting for the average schmoe. For many individuals .454 just crosses the line between "lots of recoil - FUN" and "lots of recoil - OUCH!".

Lastly, as more food for though, consider that the Super-Redhawk .44 magnum is strong enough to accept ANY .44 magnum, including the hottest of the Buffalo Bore "heavy .44 magnum +P" loads. Those bring the gun up nearly to .454 Casull ballistics, so if you think you may need more power for the occasional Elk handgun hunt, it is possible to get it.

Here's what one of these +P .44 magnum hard-cast lead bullets looked like after passing through three three hardcover PDRs; each is about 3000 pages:
    DSCN0620.jpg
    Here's the PDRs, though this particular exit hole was made with a 7.62x54R rifle round, not a .44 magnum. The .44 DID still go through three of these, I just didn't take a picture:
    DSCN0632.jpg
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one with the 7.5 " barrel, and it is built like a tank. I do reload for it, mostly in .45 Colt, but the Hornady dies I have are .454/.45C, so I'll load .454 loads when I get the hulls. I'm still able to order ammo or buy it off the shelf for both calibers when I see it priced reasonably. BTS is right about the one-and-done range trips guys do with these big guns, that's how I got this one.

So far accuracy with both rounds has been about what I expected from a large-bore, open-sight handgun. (It's been a while since I shot it and I don't have any notes on it for exact numbers, but I don't recall anything too eye-opening good or bad as far as my ability to shoot it.) Recoil is stout with the Casull loads, and very reasonable with 9gr Unique/250 gr LSWC loads in .45 Colt. I do recall the double-action trigger pull on this unit is stiff and fairly stacky, so it's single-action only for best results. (Of course if it's a charging bear, all bets are off!)

Yeah, it's heavy and bulky, but it's a lot of fun to shoot. Recoil (to me) is on par in noise and kick with my 6.5" 629 .44 using the heavier bullets.

Good luck on your quest!
  • wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The SRH is Ruger's premier offering. It is very strong and durable. My experience with them is that all I have fired were adequately accurate. My observation is that most will outperform (accuracy wise) the SBHs in the same caliber.

To some this platform is ideal. To others, it feels like a boat anchor. Try to get to shoot one (if you have not) to see which group you are in.

I agree with the above post that a 44 mag is likely better suited to the vast majority of the population. Unless you are a dedicated handgun hunter (or intend to become one), the 454's power is wasted. I own and shoot both caliber regularly (I am a dedicated handgun hunter). Also, the selection of factory loads for the 44 makes it adequate for anything from mice to moose. I would recommend the 44 to you.
  • Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Ruger and it shoots great in 45 Long Colt and not real expensive if you reload. Shooting the 454 loads is as stated some people fire the revolver once and that is all they want. The .44 magnum is also very nice weapon and you can shoot .44 special or .44 magnum and the ammo is easier to find but can be hard on the pocket book if you don't reload.

Emmett
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one with the 7.5" barrel for the past 10 years or so. It is a very accurate revolver with good range. It is accurate with the 45colt ammo also.

I use mine for hunting both as a primary weapon and as back up depending on what I am doing. Either way it is with me. I've taken several deer with it, the furthest at about 125 yards. I've never scoped it.

As stated with full house .454 loads range time is limited as extended sessions will make your arm ache.

I like mine, have found it to be very accurate and wouldn't consider trading it.