In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

32 Magnum

taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hello

My question is concerning the power of a 32 mag as compared to other calibers. Is it the equivalent to a 380, 9mm or bigger such as a 40 auto for penetration.

Thanks, Dave

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I've been looking for a revolver for my wife. She has small hands and is not much on recoil. For some reason the Ruger SP101 in 32 mag seems to jump out at me. It just looks like a gun she could shoot. I have shot the 32 long but not the mag. Any thoughts by you guys???? This would just be a self defense gun...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My H&R Sportsman is all good, needed a cleaning bad.
    Year manufactured would be great, thanks in advance.

1. #A1028
    2. Hammer
    3. Don't know
    4. push button left side
    5. right side of barrel
    6. DA
    7. fixed-pinned
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    taco,
    A = 1940 manufacture.
    I don't know how often Jim checks in over here, I'll let him know of your post.
    More info for his files!!
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    taco413,
    Thanks for the info. I've added it to my SPORTSMAN research file.
    As Jamesjo posted - a 1940 made piece, so it's a 1st Model 7th Variation.
    #3 - if you check around the periphery of the cylinder - you may see some light, small font stampings - by 1940 some have them, some don't - but when there, they are usually towards the front of the cylinder between two of the flutes and are often very hard to see and read, depending upon the amount of finish wear and gunk build-up.
    #7 - by 1940 ALL the Sportsman 999s and 199s (Single Action only) had height adjustable front sights - there will be a screw in the muzzle end at the top above the bore of the barrel - that screw adjusts the front sight up and down. If yours DOESN'T have that screw I would really like to hear about it.
    Thanks again.
    Jim
    Checking my file, I see that your gun should have the manufacturer's name and address on top of the barrel. Open the action and pull the cylinder then check the number stamped under the top strap - that number should match the number stamped into the front strap of the grip frame - if it doesn't, it means that the barrel/cylinder assembly of your piece was changed out at some time. ALSO, the rear face of the cylinder and the extractor star should have 3 matching digits that should match the last three digits of the serial number.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    32Magnum,
    Last 3 digits are the same on the cylinder and on top strap. It does have the screw on front of barrel as you said. Right side of barrel reads-- HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS CO
    WORCHESTER, MASS. U.S.A.

Left side reads-- H&R "SPORTSMAM"
    DOUBLE ACTION
    Thanks for all the info
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    taco,
    You are welcome, glad to help out and thanks for thanking.
    ALSO, thanks for contributing to the research project. Hopefully I'll get enough responses to be able to solidify some of the facts about the H&R SPORTSMAN and everyone who is interested in those will benefit.
    Jim
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    is 32mag ammo readily available?
    i remember having to shop around 3-4 years ago.
    tom