In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Price for ANIB East German Haenel 311 Pellet Rifle

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
edited August 2011 in Ask the Experts
I'm considering selling my East German Haenel Model 311 target rifle that is ANIB with all the tools, paperwork, optional sights, and a few cans of East German 177 pellets. I bought this rifle in 1985 while on a trip to East Berlin when I was a USAF fighter pilot assigned to US Air Forces in Europe. Fighter pilots would often get the opportunity to travel to East Berlin in uniform as part of the post-WWII Tripartate Agreement with the Russians. In general, we always had operational reasons to go there, but in the end I think the big brass liked to send us over to parade around in uniform just to piss off the Ruskies. The Russians would always try to bully us around, but we'd just ignore them and go about our business. That business usually included shopping for Zeiss optics and air guns, when they could be found, which wasn't very often. The store shelves were generally bare under communism. I was fortunate enough to pick up this Model 311 on one such trip and was wondering what you all thought it might be worth.

The HAENEL MODEL 311 was made in Suhl, East Germany, in the 70s and 80s and shoots a .177 lead pellet. It's a fairly unusual and rare top-action, single-shot, bolt-cocking rifle with a wood stock that loads through a tap. I was told it was designed and manufactured for the Olympic 10-Meter target competition. I know you all will ask for pictures, but I don't have any at the moment. My rifle is absolutely mint without a scratch on it and I only fired it about 5 times just to make sure it worked. Clearly stamped, "Made In East Germany," it has been in my gun safe for the past 26 years. Here's a link to some pictures of a Hanel Model 311: http://www.google.com/search?pq=haenel+311+for+sale&hl=en&cp=10&gs_id=k&xhr=t&q=haenel+311&rlz=1R2ADRA_enUS364&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=691&wrapid=tljp1314557711013210&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Of note, I also have the full color paperwork/orders printed in English, Russian, and French and bearing the flags of France, Great Britian, Russia, and the United States that authorized me to travel to East Berlin on the day I bought this rifle. Given the gun's condition, rarity, and provenance, a relic of the Cold War, any thoughts on a fair price? The last Model 311 sold on the Internet was in England and went for 300 Pounds, which would be about $600 US, and that was some time ago and without all the accessories. I haven't seen one advertised on Gunbroker, but I suppose could try to sell it there? Are there air gun sites that might be a better place to market this rifle?

I'm not an air gun guy, so I'd appreciate any thoughts, advice, or recommendations in this case. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless you can find a U.S. collector willing to pay top dollar for it, most likely the market for it would be on the other side of the pond.

Many of the countries over there have very stringent gun laws, as compared to the U.S. Most likely that why it sold for what it did in England. You might get hold of the latest edition of the Blue Book of Air Guns, to get a ballpark U.S. value.
  • Options
    Manoa-FishermanManoa-Fisherman Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a look at this description from an air gun website. See: http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007/02/haenel-311-target-rifle.html
  • Options
    Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Manoa-Fisherman, I saw that website when I was researching the gun and possible prices. Although it says Model 311s normally list for $200, I assume that was for piece in average condition. That article was also posted over 4 years ago in 2007. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then. Certainly the economy is in the tank right now, but most guns that have been reasonably cared for have appreciated nominally in 4 years. Here's hoping there's an air gun buff on this site who might be able to add some definitive info. Again, thanks for weighing in.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Air gun collecting in this country primarily focuses on the early US made models and there is very limited interest in the European air guns, unless they pre date WWII. As Rufe already told you; the situation in England is considerably different for airguns than it is here in the States and it is highly unlikely that you'd ever realize that kind of money here. Interest in all things Cold War has fallen off dramatically in the past decade and the novelty of something made in East Germany has long since ended. While actual firearms like an East German Makarov have appreciated substantially since they were last imported, airguns have not followed the same trend. While so called bring back papers on firearms do add to their value, I doubt that your authorization to purchase what some buyers still think of as a "BB Gun" will add anything to it's value. In today's miserable economy I am thinking that $200 would be a realistic price on auction.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Acording to the most recent Blue book, they say $225.00 for one in 95% condition. The closest your gun will ever be to 100% is 98-99% condition, and that will not be adding another $400.00. At best, you are looking at a $250.00 on this side of the pond.

Best
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    our local pellet rifle leage got started on these (bought a bunch, used, for $65 ea.ppd). no one shoots them any more, much better equipment available. $200 would be on a good day.
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got several of these, in Berlin in 1985 too. Probably the same shop.
    Think I paid about $ 30.00 US. It was unusual enough back then sold one for $300.00 in 1988. Think the market has dropped now after the fall of the Wall and all the imports now coming in.

Shoots as well as Mm kids Daisy 853 Target.
    Keep seeing one at a show in Indiana and they were asking $ 175.00 and it hasn't sold for a couple of shows.

With a broader market here on Auction you might get $ 200-250.00
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron