In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Drill and tap a gas block?

ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
edited June 2012 in Ask the Experts
I've got this lower and would like to mount a bipod. I was thinking of drilling and tapping the bottom of the gas block for a sling stud.
Is that OK to do or am I crazy? What say the experts?

ftbllpcbig.jpg

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It appears that the gas block and barrel shroud is made out of one piece of aluminum? As long as you can separate it from the barrel, drilling and taping shouldn't present any problem. You might consider using what are called helicoils though to strengthen the tapped hole. Any time you drill and tap shallow holes in aluminum there is always the possibility of stripping them out, if to much torque is put on the part that it is fastened to. Hanging a Harris bipod on that one screw would probably be inviting a stripped out thread, if the hole wasn't helicoiled.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it a free float barrel if so I wouldn't do it. There are kits available that you can add a rail to the hand guard itself then mount the bipod to the rail. Then you will still have a functioning free float system. If the barrel isn't free floating it won't mater much but your point of impact will change depending on if you sighted it in with the bipod on or off. Hanging a bipod on the barrel will change the harmonics of the barrel.

EDIT Actually you have this upper
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    They make a sling stud that goes through the hole in the lower hand guard. You can mount a bipod on one of them.
  • ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    They make a sling stud that goes through the hole in the lower hand guard. You can mount a bipod on one of them.

That would be perfect. Who are "they"? Got a link?
    Thanks,
    Gary
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Centerfire systems part #AR-SLGAD made by ATI $6.99
    800-950-1231 www.centerfiresystems.com/AR-SLGAD.aspx
    www.midwayusa.com has #404111 that works too.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Except for very few instances, like a revolver, TC Contender/Encore pistol, or the like, seldom are the times that mounting a bi-pod to the barrel for accuracy shooting, is acceptable.

I would find another means of a handgard mount.

Rufe,

Seldom, if any, unless I am mistaken, are the gas blocks made of anything but steel.

Best
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks like you don't have a free floating handguard and the gas block is too thin to tap any attachment to.
    Good practice calls for one diameter's worth of thread in steel and two diameters in aluminum.
    If you really want a bipod, remove that handguard and replace it with a floating one. Some of them have Picatinny rails that you can mount almost anything on.
    Remember barrels will shoot away from a rest.