In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Factory Ruger Blackhawk .44 Magnum Sights?

JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in Ask the Experts
Could someone please post some actual factory Ruger Blackhawk Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum pics of the top of the rear sight showing the set screw and of whatever side the pin or set screw is located on for the front sight?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry. Can't read. Originally composed response on front sight part of your question. My flattop and the several SBH's I've owned and many I've seen all had front sights brazed/welded(?) to barrel.
    So, Blackhawk .44. Are we talking old flat-top, Super, or N.M. Super?
    Only one I still have is the flat-top. Let me know if pictures of that would help. The rear sight is different from the one on the later SBH's.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    Sorry. Can't read. Originally composed response on front sight part of your question. My flattop and the several SBH's I've owned and many I've seen all had front sights brazed/welded(?) to barrel.
    So, Blackhawk .44. Are we talking old flat-top, Super, or N.M. Super?
    Only one I still have is the flat-top. Let me know if pictures of that would help. The rear sight is different from the one on the later SBH's.

No my mistake, I have only owned the Ruger Redhawk in which both the Redhawk and Super Redhawk are in .44 magnum, but not so for the Ruger Blackhawk which doesn't seem to come in .44 magnum as the Ruger Super Blackhawk does...
    Originally I was going to get the Ruger Blackhawk in .45LC but changed my mind recently to .44 magnum which threw the monkey wrench into the equation.
    So now then apparently I am looking for a Ruger 'Super' Blackhawk in .44 magnum...
    Regards
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just to clarify:
    Ruger's first .44 single action was a Blackhawk, a.k.a. the flat top.
    When they beefed up the top strap to provide further support for the rear sight (and produce the current familiar Blackhawk profile) and made changes to the grip frame it became the SuperBlackHawk. All the Ruger .44 Mags I've owned, from the flat-top to a Hunter and several in between, all have been surprisingly accurate. When I wrote to Hamilton Bowen about having some work done to my Hunter, and I showed him the groups I was getting, he said, "Leave it as is, I can't improve on that performance for you."
    Good luck.
    Rob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    Just to clarify:
    Ruger's first .44 single action was a Blackhawk, a.k.a. the flat top.
    When they beefed up the top strap to provide further support for the rear sight (and produce the current familiar Blackhawk profile) and made changes to the grip frame it became the SuperBlackHawk. All the Ruger .44 Mags I've owned, from the flat-top to a Hunter and several in between, all have been surprisingly accurate. When I wrote to Hamilton Bowen about having some work done to my Hunter, and I showed him the groups I was getting, he said, "Leave it as is, I can't improve on that performance for you." Good luck. Rob

Okay, sounds like you are well versed on the Ruger Blackhawks then thanks RCrosby...Inadvertently came across a good read on Ruger's first .44 Magnum single action on Jeff Quin's website GunBlast.com, here is the link in case anyone else is interested...
    http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_44-Flattop.htm

Yes the Ruger Redhawk and Blackhawk revolvers are of excellent quality built like tanks and accurate as well from all accounts.

I need pics of the Ruger Super Blackhawk showing the top of the rear sight that shows the set screw and the front sight showing any set screw or pin unless it is welded/brazed on to ensure I get the correct low profile fixed sights(I prefer low profile combat type fixed sights on pistols/revolvers and adjustable on rifles)...

My goal is to replace the adjustable rear sight and fixed front sight on the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum with a low profile combat type fixed rear sight and low profile front sight.

Regards
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Interesting. Not sure what your options will be. The replacement rear sights that I'm familiar with for the Ruger frames are generally larger than the factory. Things like the Bomars. Assuming you find a lower rear sight you'd have to cut down the front to match unless you wanted to mill off the original and attach something else. Ruger does make different height blades for their standard rear sight and you could always cut one of the low ones down even further but I'm sure if that would accomplish what you want???
  • Options
    noell316noell316 Member Posts: 647 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the gunsmith Hamilton Bowen offers a replacement rear sight. Don't know if it would be thought of as low profile or not.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A horizontal pin holds the sight in. A spring under the sight pushes the sight up against an adjusting screw. Micro made the early sights.
    I agree they are big, bulky and ugly unlike the S&W revolver sights.
    The front sight is also an abomination, sitting on a block.
    Years back, Snapps Gun Shop would mount an S&W sight on an SAA Colt for a neat looking, accurate shooting revolver.I'm glad I held off because my 2nd model was worth only $125 then.
    Hy Hunter who sold JP Sauer and his own SAA's had one neat model shown in Keith's Sixguns. It had target sights and a rib from frame's end to barrel end. The front sight didn't look bad at all.
    If a craftsman could frame in an S&W rear sight it would be an improvement.
    I had a 44 Blackhawk when they came out and loved the way it shot but thought both front and rear sights were ugly and cheap.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DL Sports can set you up with the fixed rear sights and cut down the front or dovetail one. They have pics of some DA wheelguns with the adjustibles swapped out for fixed.
    http://www.dlsports.com/

http://www.dlsports.com/revolvers_1.html

Cylinder & Slide does it as well. They come standard on the S&W Nightguards.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys that helps alot and DL Sports has some great options and parts that would work as well too.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Juggernaut,

Perhaps you might consider something other than the sight change. like an older Vaquero with fixed sights in 44 magnum, or 45 LC. They are as low of a profile as you can get, and as durable as you can get.

Best

EDIT 1

Don't forget...that the older Vaquero, can handle much hotter loads in 45 LC, than the new Vaquero, or any Colt SSA's or their clone's. That said, the 45 LC, when loaded to its full potential in a BlackHawk, or Older Vaquero, rivals a 44 Magnum, and in some cases surpasses it.

Best

EDIT 2

Must be a lot of folks like the same notion you have. There are a few of the Old Vaquero's on the auction side in both 44, and 45 Colt, with several bids on them. None NIB, but some damn close to it.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Juggernaut,
    Perhaps you might consider something other than the sight change. like an older Vaquero with fixed sights in 44 magnum, or 45 LC. They are as low of a profile as you can get, and as durable as you can get.
    Best
    Tsr1965, I first was interested in the old or original Ruger Vaquero in .45LC and then .44 mag and is where this all originated.
    Although after seeing how difficult that it was to find one new in the box I kind of switched over to the Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag instead.
    However if I happen to come across a nib original Ruger Vaquero in .44 mag I might get it.

Regards

quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    EDIT 1
    Don't forget...that the older Vaquero, can handle much hotter loads in 45 LC, than the new Vaquero, or any Colt SSA's or their clone's. That said, the 45 LC, when loaded to its full potential in a BlackHawk, or Older Vaquero, rivals a 44 Magnum, and in some cases surpasses it.
    Best

Have heard that as well and will keep that in mind, thanks.

Regards