In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Barnes TTSX Bullet Performance #2

22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in Ask the Experts
Thanks to all who replied to the original post. Nononsense, thanks also for the suggestions of other non-lead bullets to try. My takeaway from the concensus of the comments is that the Barnes TTSX did perform adequately even though the recovered bullets wouldn't be good candidates for the Barnes' marketing folks next set of advertisements. I took seven animals with nine shots; one didn't really require two but the PH wanted a second one. And the other required a second shot due to my poor placement of the first shot. As I said in the original post, I had no complaint with the final results, but did want to follow up on the PH's comments (who thought the loss of petals/weight and small exit holes indicated poor performance). Thinking back I wish I had looked more closely at the animals during skinning to assess internal damage. I still wonder a bit about that particular box of bullets given others comments about good mushrooming and weight retention from the TTSX. I'll shoot the remainder at pigs and will post again if there are interesting results. Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    22hipower,

I think that the feral hogs will be a good resolution to collecting more examples of the bullets from multiple targets quickly (and less expensively!). End for end shots might aid in recovering some more for examination. Through a shoulder might be interesting as well. Please keep us in the loop on the followup no matter how they turn out.

Thank!

Best.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    I tried the end to end shots on several deer and never recovered a bullet. The deer were DRT though!!! I have shot some fair size hogs (in front of the shoulder) (200+lbs) with the 140 TSX in my 7-08 and no recovery and DRT.[8D]