In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W model 10

338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in Ask the Experts
The firing pin on my model 10 is broken. Can you replace the pin or do you have to replace the hammer with a new one? Thanks...Ben

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I recently picked up a Model 10. The serial number is 67,XXX and when the cylinder is swung open, the model number is not visible, only the serial number.

I do think it's a model 10, given the standard characteristics of the firearm. Also, this nickle plated and has a pinned barrel. My main curiosity is this: Why is there no model number when the cylinder is swung open and what would an approximate date of manufacture be.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey I'm moveing and I can't find my gun books anyone out there help me with a S&W model 10-5 38 spec serial C980xxx for about year year that it was made? the manual says warranty info April 15, 1955 but parts price list states effective March 15,1967 thank you Lee
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Posted for a friend who's waiting on his registration here

I just picked up a used Model 10 and I am trying to figure out the vintage. Based on the info I have scrapped together so far, it might be a pre 1952 model, though that is based on some one telling me that the front sight was changed from a half-moon to a ramp style in 1952. Mine is a half moon.

The serial number is V 408xxx.

There is also a number right in front of the cylinder 58969.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is the value of a S&W model 10-5 blue in 38 special with a 4 inch barrel. It was my Fathers gun and he almost never shot it. It is in 99% condition with the original box and papers.

Thanks,
    Elbesta
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Local store has one at $225 on consignment. Light wear, maybe 90% overall, he even looked it up for me in a book and said it was made in 77. Nice guy, I think I'll spring on it.

Is this gun safe with +p loads? Not that I'd regularly use them, just curious.

thanks

jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Model 10 in 38spl, on the back strap it is stamped CVA 65 and then a secondary 5 digit serial number. Now I know that CVA 65 is the designation / bow number for the Enterprise the first nuclear powered aircraft carrier (still in service) CVA was an older designation for a "attack carrier" I wonder if this arm was carried by a navy/marine pilot. I know that this was the side arm issued to pilots instead of the 1911. Does this marking sound familiar to any of you? FYI the Enterprise is set to be decommissioned as soon as the new Gerald R Ford has it's sea trials. The keel was laid for this new carrier in Dec, 09 in Newport News, VA
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone tell me the date of birth of my S&W Model 10 ser. # D533030 38 special. Any info is appreciated. Terrill
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rufe-snow thanks for the info. Terrill